Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: growth and sizes in kits...  (Read 3807 times)

Crimson_Ham

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
growth and sizes in kits...
« on: July 27, 2010, 04:25:25 PM »

I know females are usually bigger than males in the long run but is it normal for a female kit to be so much bigger than a male kit of the same litter after just 2 months? Freya looks huge compared to Thor. And I know it's not just because of the fur and looking bigger since I had to put him back in the kit cage when he kept getting out of his cage after weaning. Freya's in with Xochitl and hasn't escaped once since I put her there. I'll try to post pictures and show the size difference soon... I don't think there's anything wrong with him, he's acting and eating fine just seems soooooooooooo much smaller when I look at her.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: growth and sizes in kits...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »

hi.. i can't really answer this question, but i do know that you need to get their weights, do you have a scale?
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:23:03 AM »

my female kit is a lot bigger than the two boys even though she was between them in weight when they were little (they're 3 and a half months now, she is about 50% heavier than the two boys)

as for escaping, ffynn, who was the smallest kit managed to squeeze himself out of the cage on numerous occasions, at weights his brother and sister never managed it. i guess some are just more gifted escapologists!

Crimson_Ham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 11:14:53 AM »

when they were born we borrowed one from a friend scale wise...
It took him a couple days to figure out how and then he just kept getting out so I'm waiting till I'm absolutely certain he'll be unable to before taking him from the kit cage again, my husband says if he escapes anymore I have to sell him :( I do know someone who knows about chins and would buy him but I wanna keep him so definitely waiting. He's bigger than he was last time he escaped though so maybe soon (in a month or two) I'll let him try his cage again. Freya got out the first day we tried to put her in her cage so we waited 2 weeks and she hasn't escaped again since we moved her. Most of the escape problem I think is that even though he can see all but one of the other chins in the house he's lonely. When he was in a cage with Xochitl and Freya he never got out, when Xochitl was moved back to her big cage and it was just him and Freya he didn't get out. Just when he was alone...
Sorry no pictures yet but they were both so restless yesterday...

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »

i have to tell you guys something that i just found to be funny as can be!!

i bred about three times, to try it out. i didn't have a kit cage, well actually the first breeding was a surprise.. so when the kit was born, i just got an old cage and made a temp kit cage and it worked great for the first kit.

next kit [and purposely done] is my little angel.  i put her and mom, noel, in the same made up kit cage i used before.. after about a few weeks i when i would check on them at night, the little stinker was always out of her cage running around the room, so i would get her and put her back in the cage, and shut the door in case she got out again, and she always did.. finally i just said, i'm fighting a losing battle here, if i don't get a kit cage, angel is just going to keep getting out. seeing as they have their own bedroom, i just kept using that cage and stopped putting her back in the cage at night when i caught her out.. do you know when she was done playing around or doing whatever, she went back into the cage.. now like i know animals are smart enough to go back home, but it surprised me so much because she was literally just about 2 or 3 three weeks old when this started.

okay next litter, two boys, one of them was alittle stinker and he did the same thing.. he would even go into chinnies cage and visit with him.. thankfully chinny is great with kits.. and when he was done visiting and playing, he would to back in his cage too..

funky little devils aren't they!!
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Crimson_Ham

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 02:10:50 PM »

lol That's great.
If all mine were good with kits and I didn't have so many feet walking around the house (or they had their own room right now) I'd probably let them too. Freya and Thor were surprises too. I'm going to give them all their own room when we move and try getting Thor a cage buddy so he doesn't feel the need to escape to play with everyone :)
 ::nod::

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 04:43:15 PM »

lol That's great.
If all mine were good with kits and I didn't have so many feet walking around the house (or they had their own room right now) I'd probably let them too. Freya and Thor were surprises too. I'm going to give them all their own room when we move and try getting Thor a cage buddy so he doesn't feel the need to escape to play with everyone :)
 ::nod::

i actually want my room back...  :'(  i need it. ... my house is just not big enough.. of course if i didn't have 10 pets, that thing i call Tim, and the webstore. i might just be okay... hahaha
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Crimson_Ham

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »

Decided since he kept trying to get in the other cages when I had him out last night to try a run at keeping him and Sorley (his father) as cage mates for now. The kit cage was bigger than Sorley's cage and he's pretty mellow so I tried putting Thor in Sorley's cage to see them interact (now that Thor's older and weaned as the last time they were in the same space he wasn't weaned...)and when that went ok I put Sorley in Thor's cage for a bit and added his stuff in with him and put Thor in... So far they've been great together. Even laying with/on one another to sleep... I'm weary of the girls going into heat and causing a fight but this is a temporary solution since Sorley can't be in the cage with Xochitl right now and he and Thor were both lonely in their separate little cages. (I call them little because while they're a good size Xochitl and Sorley's is a Ferret Mansion cage and makes all the other cages look puny lol) We're moving in about 3 months and hope to have the caging situation remedied since we'll have the space for me to be able to have kits again (this is why the girls are together and Sorley's not in his usual cage presently) if it happens to happen that way...

While I had him in Sorley's cage I sent my daughter for the craisin bag and while I was opening it (they all know the sound of this bag from other bags  :2funny:)Thor wanted a craisin so bad He clung to the side of Sorley's cage and when I wasn't fast enough started climbing through the bars  rofl it was too cute. He loves the craisins.

Crimson_Ham

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 04:18:33 PM »

Well Thor is getting a bit bigger now and hasn't climbed out since Sorley moved in...  But I need a new wire mesh to redo the kit cage. He hasn't climbed out but he's been chewing through the mesh on the side and had cleared out a good place with a few squares he could climb through... Problem being I haven't managed to find a local place to buy cage wire in a good gauge and spacing. Any one know of someone that sells and ships it? At reasonable prices?

Tiffany's Chinchillas

• Tiffany's Chinchillas
  • Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 175+
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany's Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »

Kits grow at different rates, regardless of gender. Same with adults - you may have a kits 100g+ in difference from the same litter. Not all males are smaller than females either. There are plenty of large males out there.
Tiffany's Chinchillas
Breeding for Quality, not Quantity
www.tiffanyschinchillas.com

Crimson_Ham

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 01:03:46 PM »

Not all males are smaller than females either. There are plenty of large males out there.
I didn't say all females are bigger than all males I said "I know females are usually bigger than males..."
But thank you for commenting on the OP, please feel free to comment regarding more recent posting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up