Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can my female be overaged to have kits  (Read 2541 times)

trsanimallover

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
can my female be overaged to have kits
« on: July 10, 2010, 07:21:30 AM »

My chinchilla is about three and a half and i have had my male in her cage for a while now and she was suppose to have her kits in June.  I have read that you are suppose to breed your chinchilla about at the age of one.  Could she be to old to have kits, does she need a little more time to have the kits, or is she not able to have kits.  ::shrug::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: can my female be overaged to have kits
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:28:10 AM »

::silly::   She is definately not to old to have kits ... I have a 12 year old that still gives me a kit here and there.

My chinchilla is about three and a half and i have had my male in her cage for a while now and she was suppose to have her kits in June.
In saying "she was suppose to" ... is she still pregnant? 

Why do you think she was suppose to have a litter in June?

Most of the ranchers prefer to start breeding females at 9 months to a year old ... basically because they only keep them in breeding 4 or 5 years, because this is their healthiest years, as a rule, then they retire them or sell them.  Usually they are retired because after they have had 2 or more litters a year ... year after year and are just not up to having any more.  It is often said by the ranchers that once they pass a year or year and a half old, they tend not to be as likely to breed ... I can not say yea or nae ... they have more experience than I.  I do, as a general rule, put mine in breeding at 12 to 18 months of age ... if they are the quality I want in my herd.  (Keep in mind ... no matter how perfect two chinchillas may appear, even if they are both champions, this is no guarantee that they will produce all champion kits or any champion kits for that matter ... even though it would be more likely to produce a few champions because of their blood lines ... they can still produce a few 'duds' too.)

Then, there are breeders like myself who will knowingly only allow one litter per year ... and on rare occasions 2 litters a year ... therefore the moms are still healthy enough to continue breeding past the age of 5 and still enjoy it.  She usually still seems to live longer than one who has 2 or more litters year after year after year.  Chin moms, like human moms, need a chance between little ones to rebuild their own strength and health without having to share their resources with an unborn litter.

Jamie and I have been swapping/passing chinchillas back and forth over the years ... this year, we lost 2 ... one was 23 and the other one was 24.  The one that was 24 gave me a kit this past fall and the kit is healthy and going strong.   :::grins::

So ... how old is to old ... they are to old when the quality of the kits goes down hill, and/or the health of momma and/or kits in each litter seem to go down hill, and/or she quits breeding and prefers to be left alone, and/or she begins to have still births and/or only one kit time after time.  When they reach this point in their life ... a retirement of rest, relaxation and fun should be in store for them.   ::silly::  Some of these "retired" moms also make great foster moms.

Sorry about getting off the subject a bit, but I thought it was also somewhat relative.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:46:18 PM »

wow, great age joann and jamie..

i'm just curious, was she healthy her whole life? 

i'm just wondering if you did something to make her live so long and healthy, or if even tho she was that age, she did still have a few problems here and there, not anything serious... but you know, like sometimes a cat or dog might need a vet visit other than the yearly...did that make sense.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »

I have a bunch of females over 10 years old still in breeding.  They are still happy and healthy.  Some of them have slowed down and have longer breaks between litters but that is the only change.  It just comes from good consistent feed and care. Its really not uncommon for them to breed so long.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

trsanimallover

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:55:56 AM »

I don't know if my chinchilla had any problems.  She was more likely to when she was about 1 and a half because, my friend got her from Petco or Petsmart then, pasted her on to me.  Do they spay their chinchillas before they sell them?  Could they have alot of problems when they come from Petsco or petsmart???  ::shrug::

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »

I don't know if my chinchilla had any problems.  She was more likely to when she was about 1 and a half because, my friend got her from Petco or Petsmart then, pasted her on to me.  Do they spay their chinchillas before they sell them?  Could they have alot of problems when they come from Petsco or petsmart???  ::shrug::

no... they don't give a rats ______  [and no sarcasim meant for you]

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 05:27:36 AM »

Since you have no idea of the health or genetic background of a pet store chinchilla you shouldn't breed it.  If you want to breed, the best and safest way is to visit a breeder to buy breeding quality animals.  Otherwise you could lose the female during pregnancy or delivery.  If they carry genetic problems the babies could develop malocclusion as they grow up and have to be put to sleep.

Pet stores do not spay or neuter their chinchillas.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up