Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chico Chewing Bedding  (Read 1398 times)

Advocate

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chico Chewing Bedding
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:41:26 AM »

I use the aspen bedding for Chico -- at first it was the type that is very fine, small pieces, but last time I needed some the only kind available was more like aspen shavings, not as small.  Now I am noticing Chico chewing on it, possibly actually eating some of what he chews.  He seems to like to go after the pieces that are slightly darker in color, I guess because they stand out.

His appetite is still fine, he is eating normally re his hay and pellets, and his droppings are normal, so whatever chewing or eating he is doing of the aspen shavings does not seem to be affecting his digestion -- but I'm concerned.  Is there any risk to him from chewing or eating the aspen shavings?

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Chico Chewing Bedding
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:05:29 AM »

Nope, it's okay for them to chew on it, no worries. All my chins do that. It's totally safe, now if it was cedar or a toxic bedding that would affect them but not aspen.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:07:41 AM »

::silly::  Most chinchillas chew on their bedding (and anything else they seem to be able to get their little teeth into), as a general rule it will not hurt them.  I prefer pine shavings ... the larger ones and have used them for many years.  It cheaper by the bale than in the small packages.  If it is kept in a cool dry place one bale should last you a long time if you only have a few chinchillas.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Advocate

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 01:02:08 PM »

Well, thank goodness!  He really seems to like this bedding more than what I had before, besides the chewing he's been throwing himself around in it and sending it flying like it's a play-toy! 

Thanks for the good words  ;)

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:57:29 AM »

Oh I know, some will go nuts in the bedding. I have a chinnies Tucker and I will just clean his cage, put the fresh bedding in his potty and he gets it all over the place.  :doh:
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up