Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Supplement or Calf manna...  (Read 4693 times)

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
Supplement or Calf manna...
« on: July 05, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »

2 questions. 

#1-  Which would you think for a after birth supplement.  Either a whole grain supplement such as Lonestar Chins/Ryersons, etc...or Calf Manna.  Pros/Cons to both.

#2-  How much do you give them per serving.  Once a day or 2x?

Any other advice or recommendations are always taken with a smile.

Thanks

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Supplement or Calf manna...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »

It depends on what you are supplementing for.  If you are going for added energy/fiber go with the grains.  If you are concerned about calcium go with the Calf Manna.  Grain Supplements are usually 1/2 to 1 tsp.  Calf Manna sound be just a few pellets.  Calf Manna can cause some serious diarrhea if you give too much too fast.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:55:18 AM »

this is kind of what i just wrote to you about jamie... 

okay..

and fyi jhenderson, i have the ingredients for the grain supplement, its not up on my site yet tho.. and i might be getting some calf manna very soon... just trying to play catch up as always.. but if you want the supplement, just send me an email, even tho its not up on my sight yet, thats not a problem.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:29:52 AM »

Justin your box is full  ;)

Calf mana is good but in very small amounts, it can cause diarrhea.I used it for years.
I'd just try tums, and vit C tablets. Rose hips are good for Vit c, if you chins like them. Mine don't, so I just give them , the Mom's a 1/4 of each every 2-3 days. I also give them alfalfa hay. Kits like it too and will start eating it in days of birth.
Every one uses something different because all our chins have different tastes, and we all have access to different stuff.
Most do fine with nothing, if their from good breeds. It's just to make sure.
I did loose a mom after 4 years of breeding when her calcium depleted. Her teeth turned white, and no matter what I did after the fact it didn't help. So now I just keep the tablets in their cages. Some will just pick at them while some gobble them up. At least I'm trying my best.
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »

deb..

sorry about the mom that died from the lack of calcuim...can i ask some questions..

why do they actually lose calcium during pregnancy?   other than the baby takes it away [if they do ] when noel was pregnant with angel [i breed a few times, i'm not doing it anymore] i had a very hard time getting noel's teeth back to the normal color. i mean i got to the point where i didn't think they were gonna go back. and she isn't from super great stock.. [long story] but she isn't a pet store chin either.  i hope that doesn't mean down the line i might have problems with her... 
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 03:11:54 PM »

Sorry Jmdebb and Debbie i didn't know the boxes on this message board didn't auto clear to make available space.  Thank you all for the valuable information about supplementing.  I am going to use it only on the mom (calf manna) just to help her boost back a little after birth.  I figure I will try a oat supplement down the road for some extra fiber and energy. 

I am just trying this stuff to do best for the little guys.  Especially mom and dad.  They came from an extreme stressful house to a loving one.  I just wanna give everyone the best possible life they can have.  Sorry if i don't get back on PM's or posts, I got a lot going on new right now.

You guys here have been an invaluable help to Venessa and I getting everything ready for the babies coming and also our other chins.  Everyone deserves a kudos here. 

Jmdebb, after the babies come and start to get a little bigger I will be getting to you about the supplement.  Im glad someone local to me now has it so its a quick purchase.  Like we talked I'll be putting an order through most likely with another cage too. 

Debbie and Jamie, thanks to you guys too for the advice.  I also saw you said Vit. C tablets...are these just standard Vit C for humans just broken down in size a little.  Instead of tums everyone has access in our cages to cuttle bone.  Is this fine or would you switch due to price.  Can flavored tums be used or just plain jane tums.

Well thanks a lot again.  Off to work I go...

Justin

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:30:20 PM »

tums can be flavored, but just don't get the ones that have any "extras" in it.

as for the cuddle bone, that is fine too, however, i wouldn't leave it in at all times,, to much calcium is also a bad thing.  small pieces daily will suffice.'

something else you can use for vitimin C however, i do not know exactly how much is in there, but rosehips have it. 

oh and don't be sorry for not getting back to me right away, i'm the same way.. the days go by so quick and i feel like i can't keep up myself... so i end up doing the same thing, but thanks for being nice about it.. ;)
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 01:19:02 AM »

Not a problem.  I like being prompt with people, its how i like to be treated so others deserve that as well.  Yea it just seems days are blending together more and more.  How could i not be nice about it you all are just so nice.  That and my mom and dad were both in the army so i was defiantly taught respect as a kid.  But anyhow then giving a rose hip is good Vit C. well then i'm covered cause my girls love the rose hips.  Thanks for the advice on the cuttle bone.  Ill take it out tomorrow.  I just want everyone to enjoy this pic i'm attaching as much as i did tonight.  This is Gizmo exercising in her wheel the way its supposed to be done.  Now that's my type of work out  :2funny:

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 05:37:30 PM »

hehe.. deep down, i'm the same way... but these days no one ever gets back to you promtly [there is this guy i'm waiting on to get back to me about something and i'm very very ticked off.. and i want to go off on him but i can't]

anyways, cute picture...

yes a rose hip a day is fine for some extra vit c.  once mom's teeth are back to normal, i stop the extra calcium. 

you probably know this one, but i just feel i have to mention it cuz i worry about all these guys so much, you do know plastic is bad for them.. you had a plastic wheel in your picture, but honestly it doesn't look chewed at all.. but still wanted to mention it...
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 08:54:22 PM »

Yes I do know.  However your right there is not a single chew mark on it.  We look at it everyday to make sure that they haven't chewed.  They have so much chew toys in the cage that I don't think they worry about the wheel.  They play and exercise and well sleep in it more than anything else.  Well good luck keeping the lid on and not going off this guy.  I know how you feel. 

On a side note, all the critical care you have is fresh right.  I have thought about having some of it laying around the house just to be sure. 

Justin

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 10:39:27 AM »

Yes I do know.  However your right there is not a single chew mark on it.  We look at it everyday to make sure that they haven't chewed.  They have so much chew toys in the cage that I don't think they worry about the wheel.  They play and exercise and well sleep in it more than anything else.  Well good luck keeping the lid on and not going off this guy.  I know how you feel. 

On a side note, all the critical care you have is fresh right.  I have thought about having some of it laying around the house just to be sure. 

Justin

oh yes, all my critical care is fresh.. i got my last batch about 2 mos ago and its good for some time.  and with all this crazy heat, its in my frig just to make sure it doesn't go bad.  i still haven't changed the pictures, but if you are interested i have one that is fine ground.  [i had 2 but i opened one for me--i like it]

just to FYI.. i would never [knowingly] sell something that is bad, outdated, not safe..etc..... and what i mean by knowingly is say i'm packing like ..i don't know.. umm okay an ounce of roses and one or two are like really black [just an example, i have never seen this], if i noticed them, i would pick them out, but sometimes when you have that much of something, you don't knotice literally every single one.. know what i mean...
Your One Stop Chin Shop
Pages: [1]   Go Up