Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad dreams?  (Read 3928 times)

1newChinmom1

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Bad dreams?
« on: July 02, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »

WE have a young MOther and her month old boy kit. Their cage has been in the same place the entire time, and their schedule is pretty much exactly the same daily. How ever, the Little Mother has been giving alarm barks at about 3 or 4 AM each night for four nights now. I always get up immediately and check on her, and she is usually sound asleep wrapped around her little Fellow ::shrug::. So my questions is, do Chinchillas dream? And if they do ( I am betting - yes) do they have bad dreams to the point of barking an alarm out? I was awake when it happened last night, and nothing had happened before, she just barked 8 times and went on sleeping.
I need to know how I can make her feel more safe, less needing to warn us. I don't mind her voice, but I don't want her to be afraid if I can help it.
Thanks for any help. ::nod::

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Bad dreams?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:28:58 AM »

My chins do that sometimes as well, it's nothing to worry about. Do you have a nightlight in with them? I find that helps at night. Im sure they can have bad dreams or just dream in general. Dogs do so why not chins, right? But I really don't think you need to be concerned, I have five chinchillas and they do this occassionally.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 02:35:59 PM »

Thank you, Courtney! I am trying to get this right. It seems they had a hard go of it for the four or five weeks before I got them, and I am trying to make it right. Every time I go back to the previous owner, to ask questions, I find out something else that give ME nightmares ::cry222:::! I am never going to let this little Mother and her Kit go through any uncertainty again. Hopefully time and love will help those bad dreams go away. ::nod::

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:26:55 AM »

What happened to them? Oh yes, if they were abused or neglected they probably are very unsettled. I know this is not a chinchilla but it's the same concept. I have a parrot a green cheeck conure, Boomer who was severely abused and neglected, when I first got him he drank the biggest drink of water he was literally choking on it and he ate constantly. The vet gave him a week to survive if I didn't get him. The point is he is happy, healthy and very loving. So even in the worst case of abuse they do and can forget. He's my little trooper and is very happy. They will be okay. 

Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:07:43 PM »

I don't know what happened to them, that is the problem! A friend of my daughter (13 years old) got two Chinchs ( a mated, bonded pair) from a pet store. The store said someone had brought them in saying they couldn't do this anymore, dumped them on the counter and left! The friend had them about two weeks, no air conditioning, no quiet quarters to sleep in during day time, way too many raisins and treats and no fresh hay. He told my daughter his Mom was allergic and needed a new home for them immediately.
She had been wanting a chinchilla (yes, one chinchilla, see how little we knew?) for a couple of years, and I said yes. The first week or so, we got the education of our lives, thanks to this forum! After about $700.00 in air conditioning, new habitat, vitamins, treats, toys, etc, we came in one morning to find a new baby in the habitat! Another round of habitat and support stuff buying and I thought we would  be OK, but the Daddy just quit eating and drinking, only begging to be held. He died in my arms.
Now I can tell by the way he acted, and her too, that SOMEBODY SOMETIME SOMEWHERE was kind to these two little ones. They came to us very sweet, and very understanding. No biting, no barking, no withdrawal. The little Man was especially friendly :'(
So their lives couldn't have always been so topsy turvy. But the weeks in the pet store (  :noway: ) and at the boys house(  >:(  ), and then yet another new home with us :-\ , had to be very stressful. And her expecting the whole time :'( ! She has calmed down with the nighttime barking a little bit. But I still worry about what she had to go through to give us this one precious little kit. :-\
Thanks for your answer, and reassurance. I used to be a foster mom for whatever children no one else would take. I tended to get teenagers, and troublemakers who mostly needed a good meal and a good hug. Guess I will just do that all over again, until she realizes she is safe, and at home, finally. ::nod::
Pages: [1]   Go Up