Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dust bath houses  (Read 1621 times)

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
dust bath houses
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »

Wondering what you guys all use for dust bath houses besides the standard ones? 
Brandy
Brandy

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: dust bath houses
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:40:41 AM »

I love glass bottles that you can watch them through. I found a nice big cookie jar at the Bulk Barn.
I also have a big plastic stilling bottle that had a neck on it. I cut the neck off so the hole is big enough for them to get in and out of.
I have one that's just a rectangle plastic container from Wal-mart. I leave the cover on and cut a hole in the end.
I prefer these types over the bowl types as it keeps more of the dust in the bottle.
Debbie.nl.ca

z168

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:05:18 AM »

I love glass bottles that you can watch them through. I found a nice big cookie jar at the Bulk Barn.
I also have a big plastic stilling bottle that had a neck on it. I cut the neck off so the hole is big enough for them to get in and out of.
I have one that's just a rectangle plastic container from Wal-mart. I leave the cover on and cut a hole in the end.
I prefer these types over the bowl types as it keeps more of the dust in the bottle.

other topic but related, how often should they be given a dust bath, really. 2x a week?

and is less better than more?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 11:22:58 AM »

A chin can go 3-4 days between dusting's, even more if they are not handled.
They used to say 3 times a week, but most mine are fine on once a week.
Though there are those that refuse to go back into their cage when their time is up. They get it just about every night.
So who has who trained  :D Do they stay out now because they know I'll use the bath to catch them ????
There is nothing wrong with letting them have a few minutes of tumbling every night either.
I'd never leave it in the cage. They say too much dries up their skin.
Mine get a few minutes, not an hour either.
They will use what shakes off in the cage to contue rolling in.
So I would say 1-3 times per week is plenty, but every night for a few minutes is fine too.
How much of it can you handle is a better question, that stuff gets everywhere.  rofl  I have always had my chins in the house.
I'll never forget the comment to the question, " how did you make out with the dust problem"? LOL The answer was "the dust won".  ;D
Debbie.nl.ca

z168

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:44:57 AM »

Right now I have a 2x a week regimen. and each gets about 3minutes per bath  ::silly::

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »

OMG Deb. it does go everywere huh.. then you clean it up and you find more.. ugh!!!

i don't time my chins bath... i let them take as long as they want..i figure since they only get them a few times a week, they can take as long as they like..
 and i give them baths about 2-3 times a week.. some people will say when its warmer to do a alittle more than when its colder. 
just don't give it in the cage.. then it gets all over and you don't want it in the food and in the cage....

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up