Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Labored Breathing  (Read 4149 times)

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
Labored Breathing
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:56:51 AM »

Hi guys its been awhile but I knew to turn to you guys you could give me the best answer before I consult a vet.  One of my female standards gave birth a black velvet female just 1 about 4 months ago.  The standard was getting older and I wanted to take her out of breeding.  When I close off her pop hole she must of had gotten pregnant before i did this. I closed her pophole off and moved the male completely to a different run.  After she gave birth you could tell was the last straw.  she was raising her baby just fine.  long story short the standard developed an illness that we just couldnt shake and she passed away about a week ago.  I didnt want the baby to be by herself after just losing her momma.  I introduced her to another female who was younger and she was very affectionate. I took several days and she spent a day in the older females cage and all was gravy they were getting along great!....lastnight i went downstairs and I was so upset something happened and the older female turned on the baby and you could tell the baby was really stressed and had bite marks on her skin behind her ears. I took her out and examined her, she doesnt seem to have any other injuries but i could tell she had been peeing herself but i figured it was from stress because she was staying in the corner of the cage scared out of her little mind.  This is what worries me her breathing was very labored lastnight, I also took this as an effect of being stressed so i put her in her own cage and brought her upstairs to be monitored.  this morning her breathing is still labored.  I listened to her lungs and it sounded like there might be a little fluid in there.  I sucked a tiny bit of fluid out through her nose but it didnt seem to be a large amount or anything.  she has lightened up, she is eatting im not sure is she is so much drinking but she is eatting food. SHe keeps wiping her nose and thats what make me think that there is something up with her nasal passage.  I checked her ribs, limbs,  her throat doesnt seem to be swollen at all and she seem to be eatting fine I just cant seem to get her breathing right its been like 8 hours.  she does seem to be sluggish do you guys think maybe there is internal damage.  I have never had chins fight and one come out this severe, and the vets around here are horrible, I am going to consult a vet but I wanted to see what you guys think and if you have ever had this happen

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Labored Breathing
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:55:58 PM »

it does sound like internal damage.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:04:29 AM »

I had a male go into shot from stress. Ididn't know that at the time, my early years.
Introducing him to a female and during their first supervised run she went right into attach mode.
I snatched him up and after some cuddling put in back in his cage. All seemed fine.
Went to check on him and he seemed to be resting comfortably so I went to bed. Early next morning I found him very lethargic and his breathing was wasn't right. He died at the vets so they did a necropsy and said, when he went into shock all the little blood vessel started rupturing. He drowned in his own blood.  ::cry222:::
I'd get her to vet.
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:20:59 AM »

hi.. i sure hope the little one makes it okay...

i could be wrong, but someone once told me that if they had labored breathing it wasn't good.. i would go to the vet asap.  pls let us know how it goes..

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

smokie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:25:47 PM »

this is so sad  :'(

I hope the little guy is alright...

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:53:17 PM »

Oh I hope the baby is okay. Keep her nice and warm and take her to the vets for sure. Keep us updated.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 12:45:48 PM »

:)   Since it has been a week ... I am going to assume you have taken the little one to the vet.  What did the vet say?

Labored breathing is never good.  A vet should have seen her right away.  When in question ... at least call the vet and let them know the circumstances ... they will usually either say "make an appointment" or "I think it best I see it as soon as you can get here."

How old is this kit?

When you do not want backbreeding to occur, you need to close off the pophole before or immediately after she gives birth and do not reopen it.  A female goes back into season right after giving birth to her kit/kits.  She could have passed from lack of nutrition, lack of calcium, etc.  For a female to have kits back to back is to much stress on her ... in my opinion.

Please let us know what the vet said and what the situation is now.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:44:52 AM »

yes please let us know how everything turned out..

Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
Pages: [1]   Go Up