Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitter Apple Spray  (Read 4991 times)

Brewski09

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Bitter Apple Spray
« on: June 21, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »

Hi all,

I wanted to get some advice from people who own chins - rather than my "know it all" friends.

I've had Monte, my chinchilla, for a little over a year now - he is about 16-18 months.

He has 3 different lava rocks, and a lava rock ledge that he choose on sometimes, but usually uses it as a perch.

Every night I hear him chewing on his cage. It's so annoying. He's pulling the wires, and letting them snap back - being real loud about it. He shouldn't be chewing on the cage - he has plenty of chew toys!

My question is, can I spray some bitter apply spray on the cage, the stuff you use for dogs to get them to stop chewing on furniture? Or will that hurt him? I certainly don't want to do that - and I imagine it wouldn't - but since chinchillas have finicky digestive systems, I just wanted to be sure.

The spray might not even work - I just want him to stop gnawing on the cage. It's so loud and annoying.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:17:40 PM by Brewski09 »

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Bitter Apple Spray
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 12:53:36 PM »

I wouldn't spray anything on him as their furr can get too wet which in turn may allow a bacterial infection to grow..plus I would be afraid to get anything into their eyes. How big is your cage and what kind of chew toys do you have and how many??? Is the chin alone? Maybe he is bored...I am sure that once some breeders on here read this, they will have better advice. Sit tight, there are some very helpful people on this sight!  ::shrug:: :-\

Brewski09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 01:15:06 PM »

I wouldn't spray anything on him as their furr can get too wet which in turn may allow a bacterial infection to grow..plus I would be afraid to get anything into their eyes. How big is your cage and what kind of chew toys do you have and how many??? Is the chin alone? Maybe he is bored...I am sure that once some breeders on here read this, they will have better advice. Sit tight, there are some very helpful people on this sight!  ::shrug:: :-\

Thanks for the response. Just to clear up, though - I wouldn't be spraying it on him - just the wires of the cage - so when he starts to chew on it, he's turned off by the taste.

I wouldn't want a little hairy, sour apple smelling critter running around ;)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:59:47 AM »

You can try it but mine didn't even know it was there.
I tried spraying cords and baseboards way back when I had just a few, but they chewed right through it. ::nod::
Can you move shelves so he can't reach his favorite spot? Sometimes it's just a matter of moving things around. A change may give him something else to do.
Sounds like he just wants out, but some seem to enjoy just chewing at the cage.
I'd try putting sometime new in the cage every few days swiching out for other things.
Hanging toys are good as they have to work at playing with them.
Debbie.nl.ca

Brewski09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:16:16 PM »

You can try it but mine didn't even know it was there.
I tried spraying cords and baseboards way back when I had just a few, but they chewed right through it. ::nod::
Can you move shelves so he can't reach his favorite spot? Sometimes it's just a matter of moving things around. A change may give him something else to do.
Sounds like he just wants out, but some seem to enjoy just chewing at the cage.
I'd try putting sometime new in the cage every few days swiching out for other things.
Hanging toys are good as they have to work at playing with them.

That's a good idea. As for switching out the cage, it's wired all over - three level with shelves, etc. He loves to sit on the top shelf and just knaw at it. I will buy him some more toys (has more than my dog did!) to see if that stops.

The little bugger!

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:42:31 PM »

It didn't work for me either.
I tried it on my baseboards years ago and my first chin Harley chewed right though it.
Sandy

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »

I agree with more activity also..I have to post pics of my cages..My babies have mega stuff...toys hanging..toys spread on different levels, on the sides of the cage..all over and on my deep cleaning cage days..I move things around to stir them up...When I put my furr balls back in the cage, they go crazy running around checking things out..It is almost like they are overwhelmed and once they figure things out, then they choose what activity and work away at it! Just like children!!! ::silly:: :2funny:....then move onto the next thing..I am thinking they have an obstacle course because that is what it reminds me of!!! :::grins:: ;)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 11:28:50 AM »

i have a guinea pig with the same habit. i got bitter spray and nearly choked when i was spraying the bars - it's horrible! what did reece, the guinea pig with attitude, do? he went to pull and twang the bars, realised there's something on them, licked his lips a few times and then proceeded to lick the bars! i ended up giving the spray to the mspca.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »

are you able to get  him out enough?  could that be it maybe he needs more play time outside of cage.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up