Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cage Levels  (Read 1715 times)

mille377

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Cage Levels
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:05:41 AM »

I have a Marchioro cage. When i first bought it it had the levels/shelves that were able to be expanded and they could be shortened. I cannot find them ANYWHERE. I called Marchioro and they gave me a lot of problems. I just want to know a good place that I can buy the levels for my cage. My chinchillas have chewed out the holes and I cannot fit tubes in them. If you have any good websites that sell many different size levels. Or a website/store that have the retractable shelves/levels. Thanks so much!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Cage Levels
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 02:46:20 PM »

Is that the kind with plastic shelves?  I would stay away from plastic in the cage.  As chinchillas chew the plastic they ingest some of it.  Since chinchillas can't digest plastic it can get stuck inside and eventually cause a blockage that will be deadly.  Take the old shelf dimensions to Lowe's or Home Depot.  Have them cut you new shelves from UNTREATED pine boards.  Buy some screws and some large washers with small holes in the middle that the screws can't fit through.  Now have someone hold the boards in place in the cage.  Place a washer onto a screw and screw into the board from the outside of the cage.  The washer will catch on the wire and hold the board to the cage.  Place several screws in each shelf to be sure it is sturdy.  Just throw away the tunnels.  Chinchillas prefer to jump anyway.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up