Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolling in wee  (Read 1644 times)

Heather

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Rolling in wee
« on: June 03, 2010, 06:52:15 AM »

Hi there. My chins came from a rescue when they were about 4, and have always peed in one corner of the cage. Lately I've noticed that Sammy has a spiky wet looking back that gets dust stuck to it when he has his bath. I touched it and to me it smells like pee. A few weeks ago he had some poos stuck to him. I've notcied that he often does a 'dust bath' movement even when he isn't having a bath, so I guess this is what he's doing. Him and his brother are separate at the moment so he must be doing it to himself! Does anyone have any tips on how to clean him up? He HATES being held so I guess it could be tricky! I'm hoping he's stopped doing it and it will go away - he let me 'comb' the area with my fingernails last night, which made it look a bit better. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks xx

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
Re: Rolling in wee
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 07:47:28 PM »

You can try using human baby wipes to clean the area plus plenty of dust baths.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 04:14:35 PM »

yah, its kind of pretty normal to have some discoloration down there... but for the poop that is stickign to fur.. is it really soft poop... maybe i misunderstood what you said, but usually poop doesnt stick to fur.. unless its soft poop and if it is, you would need to address that issue.

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 04:50:01 AM »

One of my chinchillas Tucker does that. I use baby wipes and give him a dust bath. I also clean out the potty daily so if he rolls in it, it's clean. I don't know why they do that.  :-\

I have another chinchilla Silly who sits in his potty, doesn’t roll but he will just sit in it. Strange little critters.
 But baby wiped should take care of it along with clean bedding and baby wipes.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:42:28 AM »

Thanks everyone! I think he must have just done it once, as dust baths seem to have almost sorted it out now! His poos are fine - it was just a couple that I'm assuming he'd just done. We monitor poops very carefully in our house due to problems in the past!

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 06:38:51 PM »

I would suggest if he pees in one area...to place a container with your bedding...And it would be easier to change out. I use a glass loaf pan. So it cleans well. Then you can easily remove the soiled area...verses the entire cage more frequently. I turn my pan as well since it's in the corner and he only uses one side of the pan. I turn it so he soils the entire pan before changing out.  ;) This is a good way to help save the trays in your cage as well. Urine is so hard on metal.
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up