Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Our Chinchilla Story  (Read 2115 times)

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
Our Chinchilla Story
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:06:17 PM »

First off a little background...

My girlfriend and I have been looking for some smaller pets for quite some time now.  As we live in an apartment we can only have something up to the size of a bunny.  So naturally a Chinchilla was in the running as one of the most popular to us.  Tossed between a Sugar Glider and a Chin we didn't know which way to go.  After getting into our research and seeing how much work it takes to deal with Sugar Gliders and how hard some of the items are for their diet to come about we put them on the back burner.  As we started our search for more info on Chinchillas we came across this website.  Now hearing all the good things everyone has said on this site with all the negative things we read on the internet, we didn't know what to think.  We talked to a lot of people to find out their opinions.  Once we visited a few places and looked at a few Chins, it was all but over.  We contacted a few breeders from this website who didn't have any babies ready and was to say the least bummed.  On a whim my girlfriend an I went to Petco to look at fish as she is in love with them.  As we walked in we see a gorgeous little gray fluff ball curdled up in an igloo house.  We go over and ask the associate about her info (age, sex, where they are bought from) and if I could hold her.  I never knew you could love a little pile of fur so much after just one moment, quickly that moment spread to my girlfriend and well shall we say "Welcome to the family Gizmo".  We knew that it would be a matter of time before we would end up with a chin so we were prepared with a 3 level cage and accessories needed.  After the first week goes by and the intro period with her getting used to us goes by things turn fantastic.  Gizmo comes running to the front of the cage to be held, scratched, and just well anything.  Now we know most people are against pet shop animals, but our chin could not be any happier or more perfect for us.  2 weeks later on a general trip to the store for some bedding and toys we walked in to see the store getting a gorgeous white mosaic baby girl.  On an impulse I had to have her, "Welcome to the family Luna".  We bought a small cage and toys and everything we needed to go through the quarantine period and general meet and greet (cage next to cage) for a few weeks.  After the first week we started to have a non-home turf play time for the kids in the kitchen walled off to just them.  There was some chasing and barking and a little bit of fur pulling.  At the first signs of a fight we would pull them away from each other and re-cage them.  After a week of this with no signs of change we started to get disgruntled that they were not going to be friends.  Which is what brought me back to this website.  I took advice from all the elder chin owners on patience and time and a few sleek tactics on what to try.  Using Vanilla extract on their nose and trimming the whiskers of the dominant chin, it was as if a light switch had be flipped.  Over the next 3 days, play times were getting better and they were getting along.  On the 3rd day I found them sleeping together in the corner all huddled up.  So we then proceeded to try a few days of switching cages.  Each night they went to each others with no problems.  On the first day of supervised same cage visit, no fights, no barking, no nothing.   They stayed for 8 hours together until our bedtime when they were separated.  The entire night we could her talking between themselves.  5 days of supervised visits with no problems led to their first night together.  We were on edge the entire night, as we woke up early (We aren't the early type) nothing more than 2 very cute chin fluff balls asleep together.  Weeks have passed with no issues, we have 2 very happy chins living together, who make us very happy and very proud parents.   

The point of this story is not just as a way to say thank you to all on this site for their previous questions or answers, but possibly to show others that through the little stress Chinchillas can bring for a new owner, the good far surpasses the bad.  I want everyone to know how thankful and happy we are for having a forum like this to help us get through all the problems we have had, big or small.  Neither my gf or I had to ask one question, as all the info we needed was here already.  Thanks!!!!!!

P.S.- I know everyone isn't a fan of pet store animals, which I am not usually.  But all animals deserve a good home.

Thanks

Justin and Venessa
Gizmo (Standard) and Luna (White Mosaic)

RollinEK

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Our Chinchilla Story
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »

That is a good story, I enjoyed reading it. I bought my first chin from a pet store and my second from a breeder. Im sure you have a wonderful little family going on there.
Chinny Ranch Rescue
ChinnyRanchRescue@gmail.com
Serving the OKlahoma City Area.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 02:31:54 AM »

i'm sorry i did'nt read it...

but they are cute.. and my first one was from a pet store too..

may i add something and not trying to be a jerk..
do you know that plastic is very dangerous to chinchillas.. some people don't know it, so just in case.... you might want to take all that plastic out...
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 03:09:48 PM »

well thank you all for the response.

Yes we have been paying very very close attention to make sure that there is no chewing on them what so ever.  WE are in process of getting a critter nation 2 story cage and metal pans.  I have been working to build myself some custom wood ramps so they can chew and climb their hearts out.  As of now this is a very temporary solution that gives them plenty of room to bounce and we monitor to make sure no chewing is happening.  They have plenty of wood chews and other chew toys to keep them occupied until their move in a month.  But thank you for looking out and the advice i have read that many times and we keep an active stance on the situation.

Thanks!

Justin and Venessa

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »

Well what a lovely story, thanks for sharing  ::kiss99::
We so love happy endings.
There is nothing wrong with pet store pets. It's just not a good idea to breed them, you don't know what it's in their genes.
We hear so much of things that go wrong, it's awesome to hear of when they go right.

Oh and it looks like a grey and a beige to me  ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »

Well thanks for the positive words back.  Right now I am in process of building new shelves and ramps and things for their cage out of wood.  I have all my templates mocked up and wonder what the best type of wood to use would be.  We do not plan to breed them, they are our first set of pets in the house, they will be forever our first set but some day maybe we can get into amateur breeding but I dont know.  The next thing I am curious about is your idea of coloring.  Gizmo is a light grayish beige color with red in her eyes and pinkish ears.  Luna is Silver, White, Black and Charchoal colored with black eyes and black tipped ears.  I only put the colors down that i said as a friend of ours who's into chins told me they were.  I still am new to the different mutations and colors.   If anyone wants to chime in that would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks to all though!

Justin

kelly1277

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 12:25:31 PM »

I am going with debbie on that one I think the one is a standard and the other is a beige. They are cute!!!!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind"
Dr. Suess

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »

I will take the advice of others who know more than myself in this field.  Thanks very much!

RollinEK

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 03:38:46 PM »

as far as planks go, I would use the kiln dried pine, depending on where you are, ( I am in the US ), you can buy them by the plank at lowes and home depot.. if you look around in those stores, you can probably find some that are precut and probably pretty close to the size you need
Chinny Ranch Rescue
ChinnyRanchRescue@gmail.com
Serving the OKlahoma City Area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up