Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bambi is doesn't want to eat treats!!  (Read 1086 times)

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
Bambi is doesn't want to eat treats!!
« on: May 31, 2010, 05:51:32 PM »

hi. So i've been away for 3 days for a trip, and when i came back today, my chinchilla doesn't want to eat treats that i give him. I told my mom to get new water for him everyday and make sure he has pellets, but i think my lil sis put a lot of treats in his cage. I saw a lot of rosebuds and cookies in his cage, i was worried so i tried to give him an oat to see if he eat, but he didn't. Do you guys have any idea what's wrong with him?
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~

heiwa

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Bambi is doesn't want to eat treats!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:38:59 PM »

First of all, how is his feces look like?? Are they just look like normal, or become small, soft or even liquid form??
If the feces carry bad smell, most probably your chin is facing some digestive system problems.

Another important things is that does your chin willing to take grass hay at the moment??

My friend have a experience of over take of unsuitable food. The case is he forgot to close the cage door properly, the chin go out without his attenetion. He also own a cat, and normally his cat cannot finish all the cat pellets, so most probably his chin have taken lots of cat food as he find the cat bowl is empty. After his get back the chin back to cage, his chin refuse to consumpt the regular chin diet and the feces become small and smelly. And at last, his decision is to cut off the chin pellets and only offer timothy hay, luckly, his chin start to eat the hay after a short while and recover soon.

If your chin refuse to take his regular diet, it is very danger and can be fatal even for a short while, as chin need to intake fiber for their digestive moment. I would suggest your chin to have a VET visit if he really refuse to eat anything. Or if you really cannot visit the VET and have no other way around, if I am the chin owner, I will cut off the chin pellets (pellets can be a burden for the digestive system for an ill chin), just offer lots of Timothy hay.

On the other hand, feed with Critical Care or Critter Be Better in order to increase Probiotics in the digestive system and bring the gut mobility back to normal. You can also mix a weak glucose water to him because if your chin is facing soft feces, it is easy to make a chin to "dry out".

What I suggest should be a very mild and safe way to recover you chin, but a VET visit is always best for your chin.

(I am not a English native speaker, so I only try my best to express my suggestion, hope your chin can recover soon)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Bambi is doesn't want to eat treats!!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »

Well if your sister over fed him he's not hungry.
They have such little tummies that every treat you give them would take away for them eating the reg. diet.
That and his routine hasn't been the same for the last few days. That can upset them. He misses you too. ::nod::
Watch all of what heiwa has said.
Don't give him any treats until your sure he's eating pellets & hay.

(I am not a English native speaker, so I only try my best to express my suggestion, hope your chin can recover soon
Your English is fine ::thumbsup::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up