Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I get two female chins?  (Read 2570 times)

Mcdoog7

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Should I get two female chins?
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:59:54 PM »

I've never had more than two chins at a time so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about this. I am seriously considering buying two female chinchillas from a lady who lives out of town. They are sisters and standard grey, about 5 years old. She is not sure if they have been fixed.

I already have two chinchillas, one male (standard grey) and one female (hetero beige). Is it generally a good idea to have four of them in a cage? I'm sure Coal would be in his glory living with three beautiful ladies  ;)  The lady that I want to get them from said that they are very social and she bought them from a petstore when they were two years old because their previous owners didn't have time for them...what do you think?  :-\

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Should I get two female chins?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 05:51:16 PM »

I wouldn't try it.  It can be very hard to get adult females together.  If you get them I would keep the new girls in a cage by themselves.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:08:14 AM »

I would say keep them separate also...I have two males that have been together for over two years...the two females are babies and I do not want Kits first of all...they are too young and I am way too inexperienced for that...When I introduced them through the cage bars, neither of the males made a fuss about the standard grey female but my TOV tan, Gizmo...made a naughty noise at Bella Luna...the female mosaic. That was enough to convince me. The four of them are perfectly happy in cages next to each other and just once in a while watching each other play! I wouldn't take a chance! 

Mcdoog7

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »

Ok thanks for the advice. I want to breed all of the females, too...is this a good idea, with just one male? I wonder if the female I have now with him will get jealous? She is a fiesty little thing to begin with.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:22:09 PM »

i might be wrong.. so someone correct me.. but i thought i heard that you shouldn't breed them after five years of age. i remembering thinking thats so young considering they can live to be 20...

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »

I've never heard that one .

I breed them til they stop on their own.
Debbie.nl.ca

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:04:21 AM »

Breeding chinchillas is a serious commitment. You have to think what you are going to do with all the kits. You should know the background of your chins. You should also take them to the vets for a wellness check up before you start breeding and only breed from good stock. Breeding is fun and exciting but sometimes things go wrong. You may have to rush a chin mom into the vets if her kit does not come out. I had a kit die on me, it was very sad. She was underweight and very weak. So think carefully before you make the commitment of breeding.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up