Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: color curiosity  (Read 1664 times)

Crimson_Ham

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
color curiosity
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »

I know it's a super light picture because of the place I was standing but I was wondering what color everyone thought Xochitl was (http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=11798&pos=-881) I was originally told standard gray when I got her but a friend of mine was looking at the pictures in my phone at lunch today and said she thinks both parents may have velvet genes in them. Since she used to breed chinchillas this has me worried about the kits she had yesterday.  :::((( I always thought Sorley was a velvet (he's darker than she is) be it entirely or just TOV but since she's not dark I didn't think about them being wrong.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: color curiosity
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:12:46 PM »

The chinchilla pictured does not look like a velvet. and you can breed velvet to velvet it is just not recomended it does not cause any problems with the chinchillas born to such a pairing. But if you go to my site I have several TOV animals and they are clearly TOV yours looks like a standard. TOV is not carried. It is expressed or not there
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Crimson_Ham

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 06:32:03 PM »

I hadn't thought so either. I got Xochitl and Sorley together and was told they were both standard grays but Sorley looks like he might not be (to me) so I wanted to check since the friend that told me she thought Xochitl was velvet used to be a breeder and told me that maybe the new kits would die because of it. I was a bit upset. But she's told me incorrect information before so I wanted a informed second opinion. I can't separate them for long periods without the two of them refusing to eat and I don't want to risk getting one fixed. Thanks for giving me your thoughts. :) And my little runt (Houdini) is doing better. Since I started supplimenting him he's much more proportionate and less lethargic.  :::grins::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »

They look like standards to me.
Dagda looks like a black velevt.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up