Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When can I open up the cage again?  (Read 1911 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
When can I open up the cage again?
« on: May 18, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »

Most know about the incident with the chinchillas getting out. And Nibbles favoring his back foot. Well...he's using it now. And scampering around the cage. And perching on the food container that is mounted on the side of the wall. Playing in the PVC pipe and seems to be getting along fine.

My husband wanted to know if we could open the bottom of the cage now. I'm not sure...Should I give him a week of recoup time? [To be certain he's fully mended] Or open it back up now. The incident occurred what...like Friday night.
~Darlene

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: When can I open up the cage again?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:22:31 AM »

You know your babies best.  If you sincerely feel based on your experience with them that all is fine, go for it but watch him very carefully to see if there is a change.  If there is, he may need more time.  You will always be the best judge!  Best wishes!!
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:43:38 AM »

You know your babies best.  If you sincerely feel based on your experience with them that all is fine, go for it but watch him very carefully to see if there is a change.  If there is, he may need more time.  You will always be the best judge!  Best wishes!!

Thanks...I think...just my being over protective. I'm going to wait until Friday. And leave him have that week of recoupe time. Just so I don't second guess myself of opening it to soon. He's definately hoppin' around and not favoring his foot. But...I don't want to push him and give him extra running room just yet. With him having to jump up into the top part of the cage through an opening. Is where I'm concerned. So...I'll be the over protective momma and make him wait it out.

I know with the dog...when he had leg issues we were to crate him for a week. So...I'll limit Nibbles just the same. [I'm just having my husband making a fuss...that I'm being over protective when he's fine!] My son gets his doggie playpen this weekend. But with a kids sleep over party going on. I don't see the chins being out until everyone goes home. They are safer in the cage. And...after the inicial looking in on them. They will be removed from the room. Everyone is sleeping downstairs in the basement. We just turned it into a teen's dream for our oldest to have a place to "chill" with his friends. But the youngest also benefits from these two room that are now opened up into a gaming room and tv area to chill.

But I can't wait to be able to allow the chins in his room. With the guarentee that they will be safe from electrical plugs. By using the pen as a gate to block off a section of his room.  ::silly::
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »

I may just open his cage up tonight...He's hopping around quickly again. And one would never know that there was anything wrong with him to look at him.  ::silly:: I replaced his hammock...and he's snoozin' in it at the momment. And...if he can get into that without mishap. Why not open his cage back up. Soooo tonight...I'll be doing just that.  :::grins::

I'm so relieved he's back to normal...He's actually...more friendly than he was prior to the incident.
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 02:55:29 PM »

I opened the cage last night...and they had a field day! Nibbles actually ended up on the chiller block due to his ears got a tad pinkish red due to the activity level. I wonder due to his week of mostly inactivity other than a few days before he was getting more like his old self. That he ended up with the pinkish red ears...Not overly red. But definately starting to get over heated.

They both are busy with the full access to the cage again. Central Air is going strong, lowered it a tad...so they stay nice and cool.
~Darlene

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:50:26 AM »

...He's actually...more friendly than he was prior to the incident
Many tend to be that way after an illness or injury. He knew you were lookong after him. ::kiss99::
Debbie.nl.ca

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 06:35:09 AM »

...He's actually...more friendly than he was prior to the incident
Many tend to be that way after an illness or injury. He knew you were lookong after him. ::kiss99::

I never thought of it that way, must be the case...My grandma always said if you look hard enough you can find good out of bad circumstances...And I reckon this is one of them. For he's definately a cuddler when you handle him. He also is now a face rubber. He comes up when the cage is open...and just rubs himself over your face like he was a cat or something. It's crazy! This chinchilla was never a cuddler.
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up