Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: things to put in cage for chins to play with  (Read 6252 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
things to put in cage for chins to play with
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »

On Thursday I took the chins saucer out of their cage. It keeps me up at night at it is also slowly breaking the wires on their cage. They can use the saucer during play time. I have it attached to a wooden box, which is covered with flece because the wooden box we had wasn't chin save for them to chew on. Now with out that in their cage they don't have much to do in their cage so they want back out. I would like ideas on how i could change their cage. I was thinking of lowering a shelf or 2 and putting a hamack on top. Or maybe just adding another shelve. I have a picture of what their cage looks like now, but i always have trouble uploading pictures. They seem to be the wrong size. I know it will take my chins awhile to get used to this set up.

Thanks!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: things to put in cage for chins to play with
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »

How about adding a house to the roof so they can jump through it on to the shelves.
Something like this.
Debbie.nl.ca

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:23:11 PM »

I have a friend that I have been ordering homemade and organic toys from for almost 2 years. I met her by ordering her items on ebay. She is wonderful....her organic toys and treats are very inexpensive and shipping is wicked reasonable. I now have 4 chins and they LOVE her stuff. She has a web site: yummychinchillatoys.com...when you put it in whatever search engine you use..it usually pops up first under Blank...but check it out....she is awesome..lots to choose from. I reorganize their cages often to mix it up...They have ledges, ladders to leap from...houses and tubes etc...spoiled!! I think you will enjoy Heather's website..she has plenty to choose from!  Good Luck and ENJOY!!! Alison

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:39:03 PM »

great little set up..

don't want to tell you to not use all those great shelves, but what i did was use different size shelves so they can jump and down.. some are the super pet sleep n ledge, so i'll put one down and one up, then the next one up higher, then down... know what i mean, so they can go crazy jumping.

you can also put different type of hammocks in. 

here's my small cage, it has a different wheel now and lots more shelves, but want to show you.

Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:01:26 AM »

Blondy that stuff on the website do seem pretty reasonable. I might get some shelf's and stuff off of there. Does your shelf's/ lendges last a long time? Some of that stuff is pretty cute. I'll check home depo first to see how much it would be to make shelves because I forgot.

Jmdebb, I though i had a small cage.  :) Thanks for the pictures. Are you're ledges all the same size? I think we have the same house for our chinchillas! Is the plastic thing in the back to keep their stuff in the cage? Whats the blue thing? Sorry for so many questions.  I think that's what i wanted to do when i made shelf's for them the first time but wasn't sure how to do it. Maybe with a set up like yours i'd have room to have a hammock also.

They are getting used to not having the saucer in their cage and getting better about going to sleep when I do! I am so happy i sleep good now and that I can still have them in my room.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 09:05:18 AM »

Jmdebb, I love your pictures. Especially the one were they are both sleeping in the tub. Its soo cute!

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:43:32 AM »

I have had Heather's swings for more than 6 months now..They like the ledges and will chew the edges of them but not enough that they can no longer utilize the ledges. They REALLY LOVE :2funny: the mahagony ledges that I bought from Heather's website..They are $7.00 for a large ledge and it is about 2 inches thick and relatively the size of a large cup saucer or dessert plate. They have chewed the edges but have not even touched how big this thing is..They love to hop from ledge to ledge...I will post pics of my cages for both the boys and the girls as soon as I fugure out how to also!
All of her stuff is relatively big and you really cannot tell from the pictures...Her toys are great...they LOVE the loofah slice toys also.

Good Luck on your hunting for things to do...I also have her swings...once you see pics you will get an idea of how big her things are as compared to the Chins using them!

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 12:54:15 PM »

Thanks blondy that would be great! I like some of the things on her website. I'm just trying to fig out the cheapest why right now, since money is tight right now. :( But i should be co-oping in the summer and have extra money for my chins!

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 10:32:35 AM »

i'm changing their cage in about an hr. I'v decited to cut the shelves in half and use them as jumping ledges. I'm not sure how far apart i should put them or where to put their food and hay. I want to keep one long shelf so their marble thing can go on that. I'm hopping someone will write back before i start on it, but if not i can always change things later. Also i have a question about attachting them. Thanks!

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 02:11:59 PM »

thanks hopkins.. they are silly ones aren't they..
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »

yeah they are. What size are you jumping ledges?

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »

actually i have all different size ledges, some are the super pet sleep n ledges, i have alot of those,  i have one big one in two cages [10 x 7 and thick] then some are 10 inches long and some are 12 inches long. 

two cages are fn142 so like the bigger ones just in case ya know..

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 08:26:21 AM »

So do you think having them 5.6 or 6 inches would be big enough for jumping ledges? Your pictures of your cage doesn't show up anymore for some reason.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 08:27:33 AM »

Nvm, i found your picture

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 08:29:18 AM »

I can see you have your's pretty far apart, i was wondering if you had them evenly spaced out or not.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up