Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: what can i do with my chinchillas for fun  (Read 4143 times)

kelly1277

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
what can i do with my chinchillas for fun
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:07:30 PM »

So I am used to having ferrets and remember playing games with them when they were out of their cage. Is there any kind of games the chinchilla will enjoy other than just coming out of their cage for play time??????? Dont get me wrong they have fun just coming out of the cage but I am just curious...thankyou
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind"
Dr. Suess

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: what can i do with my chinchillas for fun
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:41:54 PM »

HI.. IF you mean can you get down and chase them or have them chase you like with the ferrets.. obsoulately not.. chins are much different.  basically they just love to run and jump around.. you can get tubes for them to go threw, those rabbit houses--not sure what they are called--, toilet paper rolls, different things like that.  i have some things in their room for them to jump on too, different sizes so they have different levels to jump up and off of.  and they will jump on you too.. tickles when the fur rubs up against you.. lol.... just to name a few things.. you'll get lots more ideas from other people..

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

kelly1277

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:22:27 AM »

Thanks for the ideas!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind"
Dr. Suess

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »

welcome...

i love the war dance and the happy chuckle... ;)
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 12:13:25 PM »

There is a youtube link were someone had theirs fetching a bean bag. ::nod::
 Mine like to run wild for the first 20 minutes LOL then I can get on the floor with them and let them jump all over me.
They like boxes and tubes that they can run in and out of.
Mine love playing in inside my fleece. They'll run out my sleeve, poke their heads out and run back up to the neck.Some will curl up and sleep.
I love getting them to come to me, so I sit with a dish of treats and shake, they have to come right up on me to get it.
Some need a little coaxing so I may have to give one or 2 treats while they are still on the floor. If they catch on I make them come right too me.
They do like learning, and can learn words. Like NO, UP, down....lol Oh and Kiss kiss
Give them a paper towel roll and watch them try and hide it LOL
Or a tissue box, anything like that. And try training them to do things. Get back in their cage on their own is helpfull. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

sarahlydear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 03:29:08 PM »

OK id like to ask a question about never chasing them. my chin will grab some thing he knows I'm using or need and jump off up on his back legs(its hilarious) and if i don't come after him he gets Very upset, that's including when I'm giving him all my attention and he will play hide and seek with me and will drag me across the room in a sort(i have to follow him around) until i play it with him back. we only do this for a minute or two but he gets upset if i don't, so? and he still runs wild around the room and has a "castle" and tubes and everything, and he climbs on me, he just occasionally seems to want to play "tag" 

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »

No that's different. I too have chins that like to play.

Like you said
he gets upset if i don't, so?
So you'd know if doing it was upsetting him.  ;)

Funny none of my girls will play like that, but most of the boys like nothing better. :D
We play hide and seek, and it's too funny to see a little nose poke out when I say " wheeeerrrrrre's Pokie"  ;D
Debbie.nl.ca

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 09:50:11 PM »

Loki likes me to follow them/chase him around too because then he KNOWS I am paying attention to him. Unless he knows I am coming to grab him to put him back in his cage, it's a game to him. Even then I don't think the "chase" has affected our long term relationship.

chilliebean99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 05:35:51 PM »

again a great post and question. i am new to the chin ownership thing and besides i like reading all of your funny stories. ::silly::

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 12:23:19 AM »

i usually take my chin to the bathroom to play with, we have the most fun in there xD he loves to jump on me and climb up on my head and shoulder, and then jump on the sink  :::grins:: idk why he only come to me when we're in the bathroom though, he always run away from me when he's out in the living room. i don't any any other empty room other than my bathroom so if you have an empty room with no wires, then you can play with him in there =]
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 12:55:39 PM »

My boy Chong loves to play tug of war with a bit of wood. ;)

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »

I also like to chin proof the bathroom and let them out. I let them name the game..the boys are nutty...They jump around, run around bounce off walls etc...and I just sit there...Once they get their initial exercise in and get to run free then I am the jungle gym...They will take turns jumping up on my shoulders and then onto my head...sometimes two at a time. They like to tag team...and I have VERY long hair so they get after that (I usually will put it up in a scrunchie..almost always as they can get caught in my locks!) They are a riot. I will have their wheel out and/or sometimes their balls to get inside. Wicker baskets are great as long as you don't mind parts chewed on. I have a friend that had a ton of wicker baskets she was throwing out so I put them out and they will jump in and out of them...sort of look like bunnies popping in and out of different holes!! It is a riot...I laugh the entire time.  :D rofl

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »

HI.. IF you mean can you get down and chase them or have them chase you like with the ferrets.. obsoulately not.. chins are much different.  basically they just love to run and jump around.. you can get tubes for them to go threw, those rabbit houses--not sure what they are called--, toilet paper rolls, different things like that.  i have some things in their room for them to jump on too, different sizes so they have different levels to jump up and off of.  and they will jump on you too.. tickles when the fur rubs up against you.. lol.... just to name a few things.. you'll get lots more ideas from other people..

jean

Your post makes my wonder about those cat trees that they climb through and have things to bat at...
~Darlene

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 01:35:37 PM »

Yes I bet they'd like those Jean.
I have stools of different heights they love jumping up and down them. Not just to get in and out either, they run back in and out a doz. times while out for their run.
Reading through reminded me of something I never got around to doing.  :::idea:::
A shimmy board!!! I have been wanting to get a couple of sheets of pexie glass and put them just the right space for them to shimmy between.
I never thought on it because I moved and just don't have the wall space to put it up. ::)
But in our old place one of my solid backed cages was just the right height & gap,that they could shimmy behind in a space around 3'x5'. They had a ball. It took me a while to figure out where they were hiding though.  :D
Debbie.nl.ca

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 09:34:20 AM »

heheheh..Debbie...they are so incredibly entertaining! I just love them, like my Dad used to say, with all of my heart! ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up