Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chins fighting?  (Read 2104 times)

Heather

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Chins fighting?
« on: April 15, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »

My chins are currently separate because one had his tail amputated a while back and the other kept nibbling the stump. I assumed this was just grooming but last night and tonight when they were out they kept grappling and trying to jump on each others backs. Is this playing or fighting? Generally they give each other a sniff and a quick groom - this is the first time I have seen this behaviour. Thanks.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Chins fighting?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:18:33 AM »

hi

i probably shouldn't answer because i'm not the best one to answer this one.. but...what i can say is this.. if they are fighting, i think you would know it..  it's very easy to tell if they are fighting.. some of mine have gotten into it a few times [and i did stop it very quickly] so i can say there's no mistaking two chins fighting. 

sorry but i don't know what grappling is... and as for jumping on each other's backs.. that i dont' know about either,,
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 03:26:01 AM »

From other posts I've read on here it must be dominance humping. I don't know why they're bothering now after six years - maybe it's because they've been separate for a while.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:01:13 AM »

Hi Heather,
It sounds to me like they are reestablishing dominance after the separation.  As long as they are not biting, chasing, pulling fur, rolling around with each other its nothing to worry about.   If they are locking up and rolling around, biting, ect. it is more serious and someone could get hurt.  Do you have their cages side by side so that can see and smell each other when they are not out together?  That would be a good idea to keep them remembering each other while they are apart.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 11:32:49 AM »

Their cages are next to each other and they play together every night. I'll keep an eye on them but feel much better now thanks!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »

Some of my chins seem to do it when excited. If they have missed a run!!!!! Well the next night there is humping from all, on all. :D
But yes usually I see it when she's are in heat,introductions and reintroductions.No matter if it's same sex, or a short period of time, the pecking order has to be established. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up