Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tragic deaths...but one new life...  (Read 1857 times)

DoubleChin

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Tragic deaths...but one new life...
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »

Hey it's life, poo happens or so they say...But the two chins in our profile pic, Jake and Elwood, are gone. Elwood passed of old age, we found him stiff in his little hut. LOL kinda funny but sad and tragic at the same time. Jake, well, he accidently dislocated his spine-I'll never exercise in the room when he's out again-and he couldn't move his back two legs. After seeing him like that for a week, I made the call to put him out of his misery, and that was that.

Now we got a healthy cuddly great little baby named Tommy. He's doing great and don't worry I don't lift weights when he's out of the cage. Tommy also knew Elwood for a little while before he passed. He gets along great with our bunnyMarshall, who seems to be very smart and stays out of people's way. Chinchillas, for some reason, well their curiousity is never satisfied.

I know I'll prob get crucified for parylizing my own pet but hey we know people who have killed baby chins by stepping on them closing doors on them etc, all by accident...call me careless reckless I don't give a poo but I had to share this with all of you, so new chin owners know to be careful. Chins are quick little animals and could end up under your feet, or something else, in a second...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:15:30 AM by DoubleChin »

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic deaths...but one new life...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:15:54 AM »

Your a crappy pet owner.You hurt your chin,let him suffer for a week(you probably didn't even take the poor guy to the vet till you put him down) and you have no guilty feelings about it at all.You laugh at finding your other chin dead.
Now you let your new chin play with your bunny a big no no and if you don't know why it just shows how little research you've done.
Your either a troll or an  idiot.I don't care if I get banned for this, someone needs to tell.you the truth.

P.S. I won't be checking this tread ever again so if you reply I won't know.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:17:29 AM by Harleychin »
Sandy

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:33:56 AM »

Yes it's not that the injury happened, I had one try to fly and broke his back. He too was paralyzed from the waist down.
BUT I got him to a vet and tried steroid shots, and when that didn't help we had to put him down.
Yes stuff happens, but it's how you handle it that make you a deserving pet owner.

I am sure you'll be more careful with this one, but sharing such grave indifference will not get good responses.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:15:12 AM »

:::(((   It is a tragedy that the chins have died, but even more a tragedy for the suffering the one had to endure.  I must have to agree with Debbie, accidents do happen, but how we handle the situation, and the attitude in which it is handled and expressed, is what often draws the unwanted harsh replies to be expressed by other chin parents.

We do ask that everyone remember there are kids that read this forum also.

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S. Bunnies can inflect great harm on chinchillas without even trying, due to their size and the strength in their hind legs.  Should the chin nip back in self defence, the rabbit could kill with just one bite or pounce.  I hope you will separate them and/or consider finding a new home for your little remaining chinchilla.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:25:46 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:50:14 AM »

I'd just like to add that you should know that bunnies and rabbits can carry something called pasteurella dormat which can and will be deadly to chins if they are exposed to it. that means they should not be near a bunny and if you touch your bunny, you should wash your hands thoroughly before touching your chin. I would suggest either enforcing this severely or possibly finding a new home for one of them if you're not going to do this. I would also suggest doing more thorough research.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 08:28:18 AM »

Wow I understand accidents happen but to let him go a week like that.  I feel sorry for your chinchillas even the one you still have.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:02:15 PM »

Oh wow, I don't know it this is a serious post but he was in pain for a week, you should have taken him to the vets. It seems as if it's no big deal to you. They are live animals with feelings.  :'(
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up