Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to make my own cage, any tips?  (Read 2338 times)

mychinbasil

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I want to make my own cage, any tips?
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »

when i got my chin i got the garden variety starter cage, now i need a new one. i was thinking of making a cage out of a bird cage, taking everything out and starting from scratch. now im thinking that i want to build my own.
any ideas?
tips?
any pictures would be very helpful

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: I want to make my own cage, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »

If you are a member of The Chinchilla Club there is a whole section on building your own chinchilla cage using everything from regular cage wire to closet wire shelving.  But here is a link to a really nice design plan:
http://www.willamettevalleychins.com/Cage%20Page.htm

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Woodstock

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I want to make my own cage, any tips?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:24:39 PM »

Wow! That was a pretty awesome link. I'm in the midst of making my first chinchilla cage now (I'll have pictures soon!). There have been somethings that I've learned that you might find helpful:

Making the whole cage out of melamine or plexiglass isn't recommended because it can trap the heat. The cage I'm making has a melamine back, but the rest is made if pine beams that measure 7/8" X 1 1/2" and it's plenty strong enough.

Also making the shelves out of melamine I don't think is recommended since it is a kind of plastic. I'm going to make my shelves out of cheap 1" X 12" pine boards and screw them in so that they can be easily replaced when they inevitably get destroyed.

Also I'm going to try keeping the chinchillas from attacking the cage by using cornerbead on the exposed wood. It's pretty cheap and I'm sure it'll be effective.

As for size, the cage I'm building is 2x3x4 and I'll be keeping 2 chinchillas in there. From what I hear, that's going to be plenty big enough.

Be prepared to invest some time in the plan and cage. I've been working on mine for about a week, but I'm almost done. It'll be so worth it in the end. It's only going to cost me about $50!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up