Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hay and Mites?  (Read 1856 times)

luvears

• Appreciation points: 0
  • "Tillamook"
    • View Profile
Hay and Mites?
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:12:54 PM »

Recently read where the hays (timothy/alphalpha) contain mites in some areas.  Does anyone know just how widespread this is or recommend brand(s) that you are most successful with of "mite free".  I keep my hay for my chinkin and rabbit in a feeder and not create a "bed" of it..but that's not 100% preventive.  Is this really "common"?  All the years I have used hays in past for all the rabbits, never had an issue, but that was years ago.  Now that my chinkin is part of equasion and a bit more sensitive, mommy's a bit more concerned ::think::

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Hay and Mites?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:53:56 AM »

I am in South Carolina and haven't had this problem. What areas are seeing this?

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

luvears

• "Tillamook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:38:31 PM »

let me go back thru all the things I marked and I'll show ya  :)

luvears

• "Tillamook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:00:41 PM »

started browsing thru everything I marked to see if I could find where I stumbled across what they contributed a mite outbreak to timothy/alphalpha hay and can't find specific location without reading rest of night. I stumbled across that topic by accident when searching mites and parasites!

Anyway, I did find this: Also, sometimes there is discussion about the possibility of getting mites or other "bugs" or parasites from hay. Hay does NOT harbor mites. Mites need a living host to survive.

I just did a search on "mites in timothy hay" and first one to come up was a site around guinea pigs/rabbits, but the hay industry and good qualities, etc. and found the above statement! So, that's good to know!  I do know when I saw that "outbreak blamed on hay" it wasn't anyplace that quickly came to mind...definately not SC (we vac. there every summer, that would have stuck out!)  I want to say another country, but don't hold me to it ::shrug::

If I find the specific region, I'll post it. I thought maybe it was a common thing I didn't know about. I guess not  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up