Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what should i do?  (Read 1857 times)

FUSSoverGUS

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
what should i do?
« on: March 14, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »

I noticed that for the past day or so Gus has been sleepy alot. Yesterday when i was petting him he was making sounds like he was hurt a little, and when i was holding him he was letting me (usually this doesnt last long).  I noticed that some liquid was coming out of his butt, and I freaked out and started doing research online.  There really arent that many vets around here that do exotic, and it is the weekend so I decided that I would try to get some answers online.  I bought natural cranberry juice and we tried to put a little in his water (he didnt really like it) and i gave him some shredded wheat and lots of hay.  He seemed to be doing better and was more active (no more liquid coming out of his anus today) but he still seems a little mopey.  I read online that you can give chins twice a week 1/4 of a 500 mil vitamin c, so i gave gus 1/6 of a 500 mil .  Has anyone experienced this ?  im freaking out a little.  I read that symptoms usually come in the late stages of being sick.  my little boy is tough and ive been watching him closely, should i rush him to an animal hospital?  i dont feel its THAT urgent, but i def do want to take him to the vet tomorrow.  i dumped the cranberry water because he doesnt like it.  any advice is appreciated.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: what should i do?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »

Two questions.  Are you sure the liquid was coming out of his anus and not his penis?  Also, are you should he is a male.  Lastly was the liquid clear?

How is his eatting and pooping?  Any change with that?

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 08:37:11 PM »

it was coming out of his anus, I am pretty sure it wasn't coming out of his penis but now that you mention it it didnt even occur to me that it could have been pee.  I had picked him up and brought him into a different room, and as I was holding him he was in the process of popping and i noticed that there was liquid around his anus but he hadn't pee'd on the floor or in my hand.  Gus is a he.  It seems as though he is eating and drinking ok.  At first I freaked out and pulled his pellets and just gave him plenty of hay, and I have been giving him a little piece of shredded wheat each day (about the size of half a quarter).  I gave him the vitamin C about 3 hours ago and he seems a little more active now? 

I just noticed that he has been peeing a lot near his water bottle, which is where I'm thinking he might have gotten sick so after I clean his cage today I think I'm going to move his water bottle.

As far as I can remember the liquid was clear.  It wasn't cloudy or murky, but it may have been a little yellow?  When I picked him up a few minutes ago he was more himself and he wasn't squeaking (the hurt noises) when I pet him.  

We are still keeping a close eye on our little guy.  After I clean his cage and give him new bedding I'll be able to better monitor his stools.

Thank you for replying so soon, as this has been an anxious time for us.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:39:09 PM by FUSSoverGUS »

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »

so as i was cleaning his cage, my gf noticed that gus would make the wimpy noise and move forward a little, and then squeak and move forward a little, like he was in pain.  Gus pooped and his poop was mushy and a little wet. 

I dont know if that helps.

Should i just stick with giving him hay and no pellets?  and is the organic non sweetened cranberry juice mix with water a bad idea or should i start doing that again? 

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:06:22 AM »

If it was me I would take him to the vet.Wet poo is one thing,but if he seems to be in pain I'd get  him seen by someone.
Sandy

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:30:50 AM »

is ther ea difference between a vet and an animal hospital? because it seems like in my area the only places that do exotics are hospitals.  we are looking in to taking him to see someone today or tomorrow.

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 10:33:47 AM »

I would call around until you find someone that works with Chinchillas.

STeven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:06:09 AM »

THANK you so much.  Regardless this has taught me a lesson, i was really stupid not to be proactive and research a vet "just in case".  now im in a bind. there really arent that many if any vets in my area that specialize in exotics let alone chinchillas.  the only prosepective place is an animal hospital (im at work and havent had a chance to call) they do exotics. but i dont want to take little gus in and have them tell me they dont know whats wrong with him and rob me for a few hundred (which is what my friends are telling me is going to happen).  im really starting to stress because i feel like im not doing enough and my little boy is suffering.  i watched him drink some water this morning before i left for work and gave him a little piece of shredded wheat (hes been eating his hay too).

i think his poo might have been a bit soft because i gave him that 1/6 piece of a vitamin C.  I read that it makes them poop anyways so that might be why.  his wimpering is what is making me worry the most.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 10:44:24 AM »

Yes he doesn't sound happy does he.
Could be a parasite, or any # of things.
If he's whimpering in pain or discomfort I'd see a vet, they usually hide illness. Better to be safe than sorry.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up