Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your views on stress please  (Read 1170 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Your views on stress please
« on: February 27, 2010, 12:38:31 PM »

Well, as I said in my other thread I now have all four chinchillas in the one, big cage together. The girls are fine with each other apart from the old little squeak or two when someone cleans the other too hard or is just in the way. But Chong just sits on his own and is vary wary of them. I thought the cage is big enough for him to adjust to them in his own time and you saw pictures of him eating hay with them. He's a bit funny about the food bowl and tries to guard it and he'll walk up behind the girls and sniff them (or mount them) and run off squeaking.

Big Boss picks on him a little too, but only a tiny bit. She's the same size as him and Cheech and Snake are a lot bigger. She was the runt of the litter of two but I've checked countless time to make sure she really is a girl. And I'm 100% sure she is. No gap between cone and bum and no balls.

Anyway, I digress. What I'm unsure of is if I'm causing Chong too much stress. I know he was unhappy on his own as he used to pine for the girls but now he's with them he doesn't know how to act. I've put him with just Snake and it's still the same, he just runs away to the furthest side of the cage. Even Cheech who he was bonded with for ages before the babies were born. They get so stressed in small, confined spaces, but I've tried that too.

I personally believe that having them all together in the big cage is the best option, but I'm worried that he's always going to be on guard and never totally relaxed as he's uneasy around them. What do you think? Thanks.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Your views on stress please
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:59:58 AM »

Just give him time, he doesn't sound overly stressed to me, but hard to tell from here  ;)
You are the best judge of your chins actions & reactions.
I have 2 cages with 3 chins each and they all sleep where ever they want. Some days it's together others they could all be on different shelves.
If one is not in the mood to play it will just sit there and watch the others.
I rarely see them all doing the same things.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 01:05:57 PM »

Thank you, that makes me feel better. ::nod::

Someone has bitten a small chunk out of his ear though, but I know why. :flames:

My house joins on to another and my stupid neighbours started screaming at each other at 5am. It went on for hours and a window was broken. It really scared all my pets and they were all fighting. I'm just so angry. I can't hear it very well so I can't file a noise complaint, but now one of my chinchillas is injured, my rabbits are still fighting two days later and bit my leg as I got in the middle of them. That's probably causing more stress but I'm not sure if there is anything I can do. I can't explain how angry I am at them. This has been happening on and off for months. :noway:

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »

When you have noise you can't control try drowning it out by turning on a radio or TV. They will have to strain to hear the arguing then.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up