Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can't get over how gentle they are!  (Read 1114 times)

psycho_ash

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Life is study!
    • View Profile
I can't get over how gentle they are!
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »

I just got my chinchilla, a three-year old female named Tia, from an old retired couple (I posted in the Guestbook about it). I've had her for two full days now, and she is still timid and such, but I can not get over how gentle she is! I always feed her a little bit of craisin or oat flake when I leave the house and when I come back (I cut the craisins in six pieces so they go a long way). Usually when I leave she's awake, because I leave the house at 7am and she's awake from the night. Today though, I left at noon because it's Saturday.

Her hidey hut faces away from me, so I can't see her when I offer her the treat if she's completely inside it, which she was today. Then I just felt this soft warmth against my fingers and a gentle tugging on the craisin, but I was holding it too tight, she wouldn't take it. I loosened my grip and she took it. She is so gentle, even though I just got her, I am just completely in love with her!

I was always into rats before this, and I lamented on their short life span (3 years is pretty old with them, but I had a girl who lived to 4), but I think I'm becoming a chinchilla person because of Tia. I get very attached to animals, so their long lifespan really suits me.

I guess what I'm saying is - are they all this gentle?  :::grins::
If it were not for physics and law enforcement, I would be unstoppable!

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: I can't get over how gentle they are!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »

most of them have a very gentle nature. it is very rare that you'll find a chin who is MEAN. they're prey in nature so they are not grown to be a mean spirited creature. beware, if you're already in love with her..you're going to want a friend soon! I got my first little boy almost a year ago and I'll have four by the end of march haha they are just so sweet and fun, once she comes out to play you'll see how comical they are! Also, when she gets used to you she'll let you scratch behind her ears and under her neck and stuff and thats so fun to do. i'm glad youre enjoying her!  :::grins::

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:54:49 PM »

wait to someone gets mad at your cuz they are sick and you have to force feed and medicate... OUCH!!!

ugh!!  but actually they were sick for awhile so i think that is why they got really "bitey".. but boy does it hurt..

but yah they are gentle little critters.. love them so much..

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:46:13 AM »

The only time my female gets a little "bity" is when she wants under the couch and I put my hand down to stop her.  She will push my hand away a few times then get frustrated and give me a little bite.  Other than that, awesome and sweet!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!
Pages: [1]   Go Up