Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I read this... is it true?!  (Read 11126 times)

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I read this... is it true?!
« on: February 10, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »

Yesterday I read in a chinchilla book that chins can not get pregnant between June - October. . .is that true? They are only fertile between November - May ??

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: I read this... is it true?!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »

Not here,  ;) I have had kits born in every month I think.  ::nod::
Most chins breed twice per year, and like to give birth in spring & fall, or there abouts.
I'm pretty sure if I put a female & male togther in June I'd have kits by Christmas. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:05:31 AM »

I agree with Debbie.  We have babies all the time.  Now large breeders with near 1000 breeders will tell you that overall they have less births during certain times of year based on lighting.  However, chinchillas that have lights on a timer and no exterior windows don't know the difference.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »

Hmm. I wonder why the book would print that. I don't have lights on timers. Just the bedroom window. I keep the blinds at a tilt so the chins don't get direct sunlight, but they know when it's light out and when it gets dark. I just don't understand how it would be possible for a chinchilla to know what month it is.... lol

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »

If you use natural light you will probably find you have more babies born during certain months.  Chinchillas (and all "wild" animals) know the seasons by the length of daylight.  Longer days in the summer, shorter in the winter.  In the wild they tend to breed during certain seasons to give their babies a better chance of survival.  Chinchillas will follow that pattern somewhat if you don't control their lighting.  We have our lights on a timer so our chinchillas get the exact same amount of "daylight" year round.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »

Oh Okay. That makes sense. Well if they won't breed between June - October, that would be good. It could prevent breed back if Daisy gets pregnant this Spring.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 02:34:19 PM »

And don't believe all your read. Many books are out dated, and those little pet books you get at the pets shops are the worst.
Mine have only ever had natural lighting from a window, and the lights on when I'm there in the evenings.
If you are putting a pair together it really doesn't mater when, they will breed when they are ready. Most right away on the first heat. Some gals will keep the males away until they feel it's right, some will mate when ever he wants.
Getting them to mate has never been a problem for me, it's what they do best LOL  :D
Debbie.nl.ca

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 12:24:49 AM »

Yeah.....I'm not trying to get them to mate though. I just wanted Dewey to stop pouting and be happy....have a friend. He refused males, so a female was my only real option. I'm prepared to deal with kits - just not YET.
My DH and I are going on our honeymoon cruise in 111 days... so it would be a bad time to breed!
(We were married in late September, but he'd just started his 1st Teaching position, so we couldn't take any time off. We booked a cruise for early June...as soon as school gets out!!)
I'd like to get the chins together within the next few weeks...but just to avoid labor during our vacation, I may wait another month! (maybe 2!)
My brother is going to be coming into my home to take care of the pets everyday while we're away, but only once a day. No need to create more responsibility than necessary...(or more stress/worry on my part! I've never left my chinnies for more than 2 days!)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:27:10 AM by LindyLu »

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:49:38 PM »

Well in that case I would probably let them some run time together.If they do they do, if they don't they don't, but they'll really have something to look forward too every day.
Oh Congrats.  ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 03:37:20 PM »

You think it's okay to let them run together now? I've been keeping them apart because the female is still young. I don't know her weight yet - but I have a scale arriving in the mail TODAY! If she is over 500 grams, I figured it was fine to go ahead and let them be together. But if she's under that, then I should probably not let them get the chance to mate until she is!
Dewey really wants to mate - I can't tell yet if Daisy is interested or not. Dewey does a tail swish and a little whimper squeaky sound and waddles up to her on his hind legs....real romantic! I haven't see her do anything "out of the ordinary" to indicate her interest in mating. Do females do anything in particular....or is it usual the male who does the work of romancing?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 05:29:45 PM »

::silly::  Anytime a male and a female are together, it is a breeding situation.  
I like the way you put that:  
or is it usual the male who does the work of romancing?
 I guess the men consider it work, but find it rewarding.  A male chin will do the "Swish, Swish Tail" dance for days until the female is in full season and will accept his advances ... guess that's why he only takes about 15 seconds to get her pregnant ... he's to tired from pleading with her for days.   :D

:blush2:  Jo Ann

P.S. They give birth year round, but most big ranchers prefer to have the kits born about the same time each year, so they do not put them together until a specific time that is convenient for their purposes/schedules.  Most do it at the same times of the year.  When you have herds of between 1,000 and 4,000, it is best to 'schedule' the times of delivery as close to one another as possible.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:36:04 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 06:16:32 PM »

If he is doing the swish, she's in heat and I'd wait 5-10 days. It's hard enough trying to get them to bond, if she is in heat all he wants to do is mate. Could stress her a little too much for the first date. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 11:27:43 PM »

Thanks. After tonight I KNOW she's in heat. I took her out for her free run and to clean her cage, and I noticed a white mess coming from her vagina. I got a tissue to wipe it before setting her down to run, but when I wiped it was like a mucus plug came out. A white blob of mucus! I know they haven't actually mated yet (their cages have about 1.5-2 inches between them)...so I can only assume she's in heat. I'll give her a few days before we try running together. I also plan to WEIGH her this weekend...I'll keep ya posted on that too. :) Thanks for all the help & info. I'm sure I will continue to utilize this forum in the future!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 08:38:13 AM »

::silly::  

... I got a tissue to wipe it before setting her down to run, but when I wiped it was like a mucus plug came out. A white blob of mucus! I know they haven't actually mated yet (their cages have about 1.5-2 inches between them)...so I can only assume she's in heat.
I've only seen mating plugs after a couple has mated.

::think::  She could have an infection (urinary or female type) ... it would not hurt to get her checked out.  A mating plug looks like what is in the picture below.  (It has been partially eaten by the chin.)   It is solid and looks like wax

Oh BTW the cages are not far apart enough ... they need to be a minimum of 3" apart.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:48:43 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 10:11:43 AM »

There is a heat plug too, you don't see them often as they are mushier than the mate plug.
here is a good shot of a full mate plug. Yup looks like a plug for something LOL
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up