Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I think he needs a friend...  (Read 3579 times)

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I think he needs a friend...
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »

I'm thinking about getting another chinchilla today.

I have had Dewey since last June. He's a 5 yr old standard gray. He'd had a mate at his previous home, but she died giving birth. (The family had their hands full hand-raising the kits, and decided to give the dad away to a good home)...so I brought him home, and at first he was barbering himself. Having his mate die, and then being re-homed must be stressful! But he got better. I named him Dewey and he's been a really good boy. About 6 weeks later I got another male chin...I rescued him from a bad situation, and HOPED he'd be a friend to Dewey. The new chin was a 2 yr old white mosaic. I had him checked out by a vet when I got him - but I think some damage was unseen. Dewey & Schroeder never learned to get along. I tried a couple tactics I'd read about, but usually Schroeder was an instigator of trouble, and so I kept them in separate cages, but close enough to know the other was around. Even though they didn't like each other, I think it was exciting for them knowing another chin was around.

A few months ago Schroeder got sick, the vet couldn't figure out the problem, I force fed him for 4 weeks before he passed away. Dewey has gotten more attention from me since then, obviously... plus, since he's not a chewer, he gets out-of-cage time in the entire house. He LOVES running up & down the stairs. However, he seems lonely! In the past few weeks he's gotten kind of "pouty". He often just sits on top of his hay bungalow and doesn't move for hours. He doesn't pay attention to the TV anymore, he doesn't really RUN in his wheel anymore. (It's more of a seat to him now).
He still eats & poops fine, so I don't think he's sick. I think he's just lonely. I have tried rearranging his cage and getting him new toys, but it only keeps him entertained for a little while.
I have been thinking about getting him a female friend. Someone to play with at night & snuggle with during the day.
I have weighed out the pros and cons... and for awhile I felt the cons outweighed the pros...but now I am starting to feel differently, especially when I look at Dewey pouting in the corner of his huge cage alone. I have read that chinchillas are very SOCIAL and being alone can actually cause depression/illness.

Wondering if anyone had any advice in either direction....
Also, I planned to keep them in separate cages for awhile, then put the cages near each other so they could watch each other ... then eventually let them have some out-of-cage time together and see how they do. Then when I'm sure they won't hurt each other, I'll clean and re-arrange Dewey's huge cage, and put them both in there together. Is this a good way to go about it? (This is also what I've read).
Thanks for your thoughts.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: I think he needs a friend...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »

::silly::  When considering getting a female chin for your male chin, you may want to consider the options ... there is lots to learn before getting into breeding ... which is where you could possibly be, the very first time they have play time together or share any alone time (it can take as little as 15 seconds for a male to impregnant a female).

You may want to read this article on my site: "Breeding 101"  @ http://www.luvnchins.com/Breeding101forBreeders.html
It may pose some questions you have not thought of as yet.   ::)

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:28:46 PM »

Thank you Jo Ann,
 I read your article, and plan to do a lot more reading in the next few weeks.
I'm lucky with Dewey because his previous owners were good responsible people who got Dewey at 8 weeks old, and know his background. They've shared most of that info with me, although I DO have a few more questions for them.

I have chosen a specific pet store to buy the female chin because it stays in touch with it's breeders and knows the conditions and histories of the chinchillas it sells. (Unlike Petsmart....I was there yesterday and they had 2 female chins in small aquariums with plastic igloos!) This particular pet shop is local, it keeps the chins in an awesome homemade cage with leaping ledges and appropriate chew toys, chin chillers, and signs that tell people not to disturb the chins sleep by knocking on the cage or hollering (or sticking fingers inside, etc). The shop has specific employers assigned to each "group" of pets - so I plan to speak with the "chinchilla guy" and ask many questions about the age, background, health, kit size at birth, etc.
I don't know of any breeders in my area who sell to the public. There are only a few who have been chosen to breed for pet shops. Many others just sell on Craigslist.

Becoming a breeder was actually a "con" to getting a female chin. I didn't want to be an irresponsible chin owner/breeder. But after careful consideration, I think as long as I'm careful and learn as much as I can, it may be beneficial to Dewey AND to myself in the long run. It will be a learning experience....with both ups and downs. I have also considered the idea of having Dewey neutered, but I know chin surgery is delicate and dangerous, so I decided to reserve that option.

I have been MIA from the forum boards for awhile since Schroeder died. But I will probably be frequenting them more often now. (Supposing the chinchilla guy can answer all my questions and I go ahead with getting the girly).

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:36:17 PM »

have you considered trying to get another male companion for Dewey instead? I know he didn't get along with his other friend but that may have been because he was a rescue and might have been a bit more hostile towards others. just a suggestion! that way you don't have to worry about neutering or potential babies running around  :) i think as long as you introduce them slowly they should be fine in MOST cases, my two boys have been together for a year now and they cuddle during the day and play! just an idea!  ;)

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 03:47:11 PM »

I thought about it, but I think there is a greater risk of Dewey not accepting a male. Plus all the chins available in town are female. Not sure why!

I spoke with the chinchilla guy. He has 2 of his own at home, so he knows a great deal. The female at the shop is also a standard gray. She's 6 months old. She was born in a litter of 2. He said she's one of the most playful and fun he's had in the store for awhile and he really likes her. He said if the introductions do not go well, I AM welcome to return her to the shop. AND if they do go well, and I end up with kits in a few months, he's willing to buy them from me (assuming they are healthy & happy).

So I brought the little girl home. So far she is more interested in her new cage than in Dewey. Dewey has been scratching at the floor and sniffing through the bars at her - he's made a few noises and swishes his tail. It appears to be aggressive behavior....but I'm not familiar with "interested in mating" behavior. He mostly did this for the first few minutes though. After awhile he seemed to calm and just watch her quietly. So for now they are in their separate cages a few feet from each other and will stay that way for at least a week.
Baby girl looks happy & healthy. She IS playful and interested in her surroundings. So far we have perfect poops. She just needs a name. I'm considering things that also begin with "D".

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »

okay, that sounds like a good decision on your part! As for names..what about Daisy?  :::grins:: i love that for a little girl

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »

My husband liked that too. Daisy it is!

olivia41

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »

yaya glad you like it! what a precious little girl, enjoy her  rofl

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 08:53:49 AM »

I thought about it, but I think there is a greater risk of Dewey not accepting a male.
Not really ... it depends on the actual personality of each, not the sex.
I spoke with the chinchilla guy. He has 2 of his own at home, so he knows a great deal. The female at the shop is also a standard gray. She's 6 months old. She was born in a litter of 2. He said she's one of the most playful and fun he's had in the store for awhile and he really likes her. He said if the introductions do not go well, I AM welcome to return her to the shop. AND if they do go well, and I end up with kits in a few months, he's willing to buy them from me (assuming they are healthy & happy).
I always wait until a female is at least a year old before putting her into breeding.
A female needs to be old enough, large enough (weight wise & size of birth canale) before putting her into breeding ... otherwise, you could loose her and the kits during birth.
So I brought the little girl home. So far she is more interested in her new cage than in Dewey. Dewey has been scratching at the floor and sniffing through the bars at her - he's made a few noises and swishes his tail.  It appears to be aggressive behavior....but I'm not familiar with "interested in mating" behavior. He mostly did this for the first few minutes though. After awhile he seemed to calm and just watch her quietly. So for now they are in their separate cages a few feet from each other and will stay that way for at least a week.

That is part of the mating ritual ... they will do a little 'hop-hop' then swish their tail from side to side and will repeat this more and more often, as she gets into full season.

Baby girl looks happy & healthy. She IS playful and interested in her surroundings. So far we have perfect poops. She just needs a name. I'm considering things that also begin with "D".

There should be a period of isolation before you introduce a new chin into your herd (or in this case, to your other chinchilla) ... there is always a chance the new chin could be sick or carrying something contagious.  It's best to be safe and not sorry.   :)

Can you post a picture of the two cages you now have for each chin?

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »

Just for you Jo Ann:

Dewey's in a ferret nation with the center taken out...lots of ledges for leaping. He sleeps in the little hay tunnel and runs in the chin spin.

Daisy is in a super pets "my first home" cage for chins. Also plenty of ledges, chew toys, a sleeping hut, and a silent spinner wheel. (She's smaller so she does fine in the 12 inch wheel - Dewey needed a 15 incher cuz he's a big guy!) She has a hammock too...Dewey doesn't use it. They each have a chin chiller. The plastic in Daisy's cage (2 green ledges and exercise wheel) is supposed to be chew proof...and so far she hasn't bothered chewing it. She prefers the lava bites and apple wood sticks.

Daisy's cage is temporary...as I would like to get her in with Dewey in a few weeks (or months!) I kept her isolated for a couple days, but she was eating, drinking, pooping....perfectly. She looks and acts pretty healthy and normal. (Unlike Dewey, he's weird! LOL Dewey doesn't chew much of anything and won't eat hay ....at least Daisy chews her toys and eats her hay like a "normal" chinchilla! hehe) Dewey runs out of cage in the room and "visits" her. Daisy does her free run in the bathroom.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:38:31 PM by LindyLu »

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 01:46:14 PM »

Bumping this so Jo Ann can see the cages. (Plus you can see the use of the fleece as bedding....as I mentioned in a seperate thread).

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:02:05 AM »

My chins would not leave the fleece on the floor . Some of the males just pull my blankets all over the cage. I use fleece in my birthing boxes, but as soon as dad gets back out goes the fleece. :doh:    :D
Debbie.nl.ca

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 10:05:50 AM »

Do you remove the Dad for the birth? How long does he stay away? I read that I wasn't supposed to remove ANY of the chins for the birthing/raising of the kits...that everyone helped the babies. ...? Is this wrong?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »

Yes as soon as I see kits or kits coming I take Dad out. Mom goes in heat right away and breeding her back before the present kits are weaned is very hard on her. Dad should stay out for at least 5 day after birth. Some females don't like them back until longer. Also if he's a wild boy, I would keep him out for longer. Just lost a kit that dad accidentally jumped on while ricocheting around the cage.
Most are great with babies and do go back in 5 days.They are a great help with caring for the young.
Debbie.nl.ca

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »

I will remember that, thank you!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up