Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with getting two chins back together  (Read 1668 times)

bman6185

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Help with getting two chins back together
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:14:27 AM »

So as many of you know one of our chins injured himself a few months ago and we had to separate our two chins while he healed. Now that he's healed we tried to put them back together and the uninjured one starts chasing him and starts biting at him. I don't know what we can do to get them back together. Any ideas?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Help with getting two chins back together
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »

Start with the cages side by side for a week or so.  Then try letting them out together in a neutral area.  If all goes well try putting the uninjured one into the cage with other one (not the other way around).  In any situation you always want to take the most aggressive chin out of his cage and place him in the other chins cage.  This takes him out of his comfort zone and makes him less likely to fight.

Most importantly don't rush it.  It could take weeks to get them back together and if you put them together too fast one could get badly injured.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

bman6185

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:24:18 AM »

We've tried letting them out of the cage together but the one just chases the other one until the he jumps on a chair to get away and I don't want to put him through that stress. I guess we'll try a little each day and see how that does. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:39:16 PM »

It may just take more side by side cage time.  Leave their cages close for another week and then try playtime again.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Own2Chins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:13:14 AM »

Hi.  I'm in the same predicament.  Ping injured himself in the cage a couple months ago, so have been giving him tons of TLC in a separate cage since then.  Poor baby had to wear a little cone around his head so he wouldn't chew on the stitches in his leg.  He lost a lot of weight, but gaining it back.  However, he was always a bit smaller than his brother, Pong.  On top of it, Pong gained quite a bit of weight!

I kept Ping's temporary cage in the kitchen for a month since I had to keep a close eye on him.  Once in a while, I would hold him up to Pong's cage so they could sniff each other...so they knew they were both still here.  About a month ago when Ping was out of the danger zone, I placed his cage next to Pong's.  They sorta ignored each other.  Last week, I placed Pong in the temp cage with Ping so I could clean his cage...thought good opportunity for them to get reacquainted and keep a close eye on them.  Well, they ignored each other at first, then Pong started to chase Ping and started jumping on him.  Had to split them asap!

It doesn't help that Pong is now twice the size of Ping.  Vet gave me recovery food to help increase Ping's weight.  Any suggestions how to get Pong's weight down? =)  He gets exercise and very little snacks.  Anyway, at the next vet appt., I know she'll say the leg completely healed and I'll be able to put the two chins together again.  Sounds like it's going to be a long process...hope they'll eventually get along again...would hate to keep two cages and not have them keep each other company.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!!

Bev

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »

Any suggestions how to get Pong's weight down?
Nope, we don't put chins on diets  ;)
Some are just bigger than others.
I have them here from 500 - 1100, most females are bigger, my ebonies are smaller, and one of the biggest I bred was a male standard that runs around 1000 grams.
He's in NS with a friend who keeps me posted on his hugeness  ;D
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up