Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibly pregnant chin  (Read 4250 times)

LovemyLolaandCarlos

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Possibly pregnant chin
« on: December 26, 2009, 12:02:11 PM »

I have two chinchilla's one is female (Lola) and one is male (Carlos)
I have had them both in the same cage for a few months now, I introduced them very slowly before letting them live in the same cage.  I have read as much information as I thought I could possibly read about how to tell if your chin is pregnant, but a lot of it is contradictory.  Some things say that if you find the "waxy plug" (also called "mating pug") it means that the chin is pregnant.  However, some say that it isn't what it means.  So I am very confused.  I found the plug a couple days ago and I think it must have come out right before I walked in the room because Lola was acting rather lethargic and she was all wet on her belly.  There was also some sort of "milky" substance on one of their shelves, I never read anything about this, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this was normal? Also does this mean Lola is pregnant??  Please help!!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Possibly pregnant chin
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 02:22:30 PM »

Well ya never know %100 until you can feel or see them inside her , but I would be marking a calender if I were you. ;)
 ::dancingspot::
111-120 days and you should have kits.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 08:28:31 AM »

::silly::   Congratulations!  It is rare to see a plug ... they are often eaten and/or lost in the bedding.  The plug means they have done the "deed" and the odds are in your favor for a kit/kits ... as long as they are both fertile.    :blush2:     He could be shooting blanks into a dry well.   ::)

CAUTION:  Do NOT palpitate or "poke around" the tummy area at any time, this could kill any kits she may be carrying.  Minimum handling by family members friends.   
When walking around with her hold her gently, but firmly next to your body ... you don't want her to jump out and possibly hurt any kit/kits she may be carrying or hurt herself.   
A weighing scale that weighs in 1 or 2 gram increments is needed to chart her weight and that of her kit/kits, once they are born.  Chinchillas need to be weighed in grams rather then ounces/pounds because of their size and the importance to their health of any gain or loss of weight  ... loss of 5 to 10 grams in a kit can be a warning of something that is going on that needs your attention.  Rarely does a scale that weighs in ounces display the ounces in small enough increments to give you an accurate reading needed with chinchilla kits.  Healthy new born kits have a birth weigh of 33+ grams.  A kit that is unhealthy/very small and not likely to make it has a birth weight or 30 grams or less.  Both kits would weigh in as one ounce.  A loss of 5 grams would be a big red flag in this situation, but 5 grams would rarely be noticed by the eye or or by a scale weighing in pounds and ounces.

1 ounce =   28.35 grams 
1 pound = 473.18 grams   

How old are Lola and Carlos?

What type of a cage are they in at this time?  What is the size of the delivery/whelping cage?   Number of levels in the cage they are in now?  Size of wire on the cage?
Do you have a separate cage to keep Carlos in once it is close to time for Lola to deliver? 
Do you have separate cages for when the kits need to leave the parents at 6 or 7 weeks of age?
It's time to start planning ... time passes much faster than you may think and you probably have less than 100 days to be ready.   ::nod::  Most births go off without a hitch ... if preparations are made for the safety of the kits once they are born, you would not want to loose a kit, if you could have saved it, had you been properly repaired.
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »

I have a weird question about this.  Do you need to cut the umbilical cord or is that something that the mom takes care of (chew it off)?  Also, should you provide them any different or additional bedding?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:39:48 PM »

flynhawaiian, you don't need to do anything, mom does everything.  The only things you need to worry about are making sure mom is in a baby safe cage (no openings larger than 1/2" x 1" and only one level) and if you have a wire bottom cage make sure there are no drafts.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 09:28:21 PM »

what is a drafts?  Also our current cage is 1/2" x 1" dual level with a shut off.  I’m probably going to just shut the door that way the babies are only on the lower level.  But in the event that doesn't work I have a small nursing cage for them.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »

Drafts ==  cold wind.

When chinchillas are first born and wet they are susceptible to the cold.  Solid bottom pans provide added warmth but wire bottom cages can allow drafts in and can kill a newborn.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »

Interesting, so you recommend a solid bottom for the birthing.  Any particular material that you recommend or is plastic bottom sufficient?

I might have to rethink the "birthing" cage idea.  We do typically keep the house about 60 if not 70 degrees, but I want the little ones to be as safe as possible  :::grins::

LovemyLolaandCarlos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 12:16:34 PM »

;)Well everyone who responded I am pleased to announce that Lola is indeed pregnant.  She has gained weight and her belly is very firm.  I was holding her and I also felt her nipples. She has began kicking the bedding out from under her and laying on her side a lot. I believe she will be delivering the kits sometime in mid April!  I am going to try to answer all the questions that everyone asked me in previous replies.  I already have them in separate cages just in case she delivers them and I am not there.  I would rather already have them separated.  The cage that she is in has very tiny bars and a solid bottom.  Someone asked me how old they are and Lola is a year and a half and Carlos (though i am not sure exactly) is about 2 years.  I think I answered all the questions that everyone asked me....and thank you everyone for answering my questions!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 01:20:58 PM »

How is the male doing being away from her.
You still have a ways to go if she got pregnant in Jan.

You have to watch the males. Some of mine stop eating when separated from their mate.They get all antsy and chew on the cages and flick stuff all over.

Congrat!
Debbie.nl.ca

LovemyLolaandCarlos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 08:40:31 AM »

She actually got pregnant in December.  She should be due around the second week of April.  ::gobananago:: Carlos makes a lot of ruckus at night like he wants out of the cage, I am guessing he is doing this cause he wants to be next to her. ::kiss99:: He is still eating and drinking normally.  I want to let them out and have some play time but I don't know if that would be okay for Lola. ::shrug::  I will definitely post on here when she has her babies and let everyone know! ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:44:53 AM by LovemyLolaandCarlos »
Pages: [1]   Go Up