Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anybody have this cage?  (Read 4579 times)

Ari and Ingram

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Does anybody have this cage?
« on: December 24, 2009, 01:31:03 AM »

I am looking to buy a new cage for my Ingram. I want something that is super sturdy and roomy enough for him of course. Does anyone have this cage? What do you think about it? Thanks

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3074861&clickid=cart

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Does anybody have this cage?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 11:00:04 AM »

::silly::   That one is pretty, but not chinchilla-safe.  The wires are to far apart ... { 1/2" wide by 1 " tall OR smaller is safe}  If a chin can manage to get his head through, usually he can/will get his whole body through. Chinchillas love to run and play and bounce off the walls of the room and the walls of the cage.  A cage with wires spaced as far apart as the one you are asking about could be very dangerous for your chin, causing broken limbs. Because, the spaces between the wires could allow his leg fall between them and trap/break it

It has plastic shelves, plastic ramps and, I think, a plastic tray. Plastic is a "No-No" for chinchillas.  They will often chew/bite the hard plastic, breaking it off in pieces and consuming it.  These sharp hard pieces of plastic will not digest, but will cut the insides of a chinchilla's digestive tract, setting up infections in many cases.

You may want to check out the chinchilla-safe cages on this page:   http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/chinchilla/

If it is a small chin, it might even be able to escape between the bars of the cage you are asking about. Below is a picture of a kit escaping through wires smaller than the cage you are asking about.   If there is something outside of the cage they want, they will try their best to get to it.   ::nod::   This little one wanted the raisin I was holding.  He got through 4 times before I could grab the camera and get this one picture before he escaped again.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:12:54 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Pankakes

• View Profile
    • Rainbow Sprinkles
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »

Oh, I've been looking into buying a new cage so I think this would be a fitting place to insert this question:

Is there any big difference between PVC coated and galvanized cages? I noticed the PVC costs a little more, but is it really worth spending the extra money?

I was thinking of something like this: http://www.cagestore.com/pd-prevue-ferret-cage-485.cfm
but I would repace any plastic parts because I don't like my chin chewing on the stuff. I definitely want to get him a bigger cage (his current one is 20 x 39 x 36) and I can't really afford to spend more than $180....  ::shrug:: I have looked at the ones on martinscages.com, but I'm not sure If Id want to get the one there that is 48 high, or make one, or find a bigger one else where....

do you have any suggestions?

Rosiems12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 12:44:21 AM »

I actually have the exact cage you are asking about from Petsmart...my chin is one year old and we've never had any problems...I took out the plastic ramps that connect shelf to shelf and I also took out the metal grate at the bottom. This provided about an inch for bedding on the bottom level (and since it is recessed a bit, the bedding doesn't splash out). I know there are worries about chins chewing on plastic or trying to escape, but I haven't had any problems. I think as long as my chin has enough toys to chew on, he is never tempted to chew on the plastic parts of the cage. Also, I never thought about him escaping through the sides...when I come by he can squeeze his nose through, but that's about it. The bars do not allow him to stick his whole head through...I guess it depends on the size of your chin though.

Anywayz, I thought this cage was a good size for the price and allows my chin to jump up many levels...I like it?!?

Ari and Ingram

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 01:49:09 AM »

Glad to hear somebody has it a likes it! How sturdy is it? The cage I have now is so dang loud whenever he runs on the wheel I cant take it!

Rosiems12

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 02:35:18 PM »

hmmm...well, I have found that the side walls do wiggle when he uses his wheel, but I have a solution: I folded up some paper towel and "shoved" it to stop the side walls from moving. The main structure is made of a blue metal, if you look, you will see thin metal that wraps around the walls...I shoved the paper towel in there (only needed it on one side, that seemed to do the trick for the whole cage!)

My Henry really seems to like this cage and I maintain that if he has enough to chew, he won't be interested in the plastic pieces of the cage...I have heard that you can rub some diluted vinegar solution on things you do not want chewed to discourage the chewing--in case you have problems   :)

Ari and Ingram

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 02:01:33 AM »

Thanks so much for the help! I am going to order it right now!

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »

I've never heard of chins not liking the taste of diluted vinegar...I use it to disinfect their cage. And...if there is plastic in their cage...they would chew it. I have a ferret nation cage. [Got it and had the chins on order before I became a member] They chewed the black plastic trays in the top and lower cage. I replaced them with Bass Equipment metal trays. The use of diluted vinegar didn't help them not to chew...chins can die from an obstuction of plastic that they digest if it's large enough to cause a blockage...I would be concerned using a cage that has a lot of plastic as it's "main structure" which would cause me alarm...

Also...the "reviews" on this cage mentions that the person's chin can escape as a young chin...

I bought this cage for my granddaughter's new chinchilla. It seems fine, except every morning he's on her pillow. Somehow, he manages to squeeze through the bars and get out. I think it will be fine when he's older and larger. Until then, I've got to find another cage."

Another review person mentions the use of rabbit liners...I would be leary that a chin would digest the stuff that is in the liner...and become ill or dead.
~Darlene

Ari and Ingram

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 07:54:25 PM »

Well I got the cage yesterday and besides the fact that I though it was too small one wheel was broken, one shelf was broken, and the pa was broken. So needless to say I am not keeping it. I was super bummed.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 04:05:12 PM »

I do not have that cage. I have seen it at petsmart though. From my expirence, petsmart is not the best place to get a cage.

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »

I'm sorry your bummed...but look at it this way...return the piece of junk...and get something without so much plastic~ ;)

I got our cage from craigslist...The person was also asking to rehome his chinchilla. We only needed the cage...and he gave the chin to a "friend" and sold us the cage due to the friend didn't have room for a double decker ferret nation cage...I wonder though...the plastic had been chewed as to if it caused his chin to pass away or if he really rehomed it...we changed the trays out for Bass Equipment metal trays.

But...I would really be leary of something made with so much plastic...it's not good for our chins...and most will chew.
~Darlene

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »

Sorry that cage didn't work out. I'v been trying to find a bigger cage for my chins also that is affordable. Its hard to do. Good luck finding another cage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up