Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-bye Hermes  (Read 4291 times)

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Good-bye Hermes
« on: December 10, 2009, 04:10:22 PM »

This morning we unexpectedly had to euthanize our Hermes, who had undergone surgery to remove a very large bladder stone the night yesterday. The surgery had gone very well, the vet said that he had been active and jumping around after the anesthetic had worn off, and that he was good to go home. We asked if he would be fragile for the next few days and the vet said no, not really, and that chinchillas typically leave their wounds alone but if he started bugging it that we should bring him back in. Last night Hermes was somewhat active, though probably in pain. We hand fed him, which he cooperated with, and gave him some antibiotics which had been prescribed for him. Before we went to bed, he seemed to be doing fine. He had survived the surgery and we thought the worst was over, and that he would now be on the road to recovery.

This morning my husband found him lying by the door of his cage, still breathing, eyes closed, obviously waiting for us to come help him. He was bloody and his incision was gaping open. We still have no idea what happened to the stitches, but they had come open sometime during the night. We called the emergency pager for the vet who told us to rush him in. My husband brought him to the doctor and he says Hermes was still alive when he got there. But there was nothing the vet could do to help Hermes except end his pain.  :'( According to my husband, the vet was extremely upset too and he could not explain why the stitches would have opened up. I don't blame the vet, he has been in the business for years and has a lot of exotics experience. I think Hermes was in the best hands possible, but none of us expected this to happen.

The bladder stone was sent to a lab to be analyzed for cause... I will share the results with everyone when we get it back in hopes that no other chinchilla has to endure a bladder stone or potential complications from a delicate surgery.

Hermes was a great chinchilla. His passing is extremely upsetting to us, especially because he was not very old, less than 2. He was very fast and loved to zoom up and down our basement stairs. He also loved climbing into our book shelf and nibbling at the page edges. We only had him for a short time but he quickly wiggled his little nose into our hearts and became part of our family. I will miss him dearly.  :'(

Crimson_Ham

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Good-bye Hermes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 04:27:18 PM »

::cry222::: :hugs:
Awww... I'm sorry. He was adorable.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:18:25 AM »

That's so very sad, I'm so sorry for your loss.

::cry222:::   :hugs:
Debbie.nl.ca

PieChan

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »

I have a gray chinchilla named Hermes, too. So sorry for your loss. :(

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 11:27:50 PM »

Thanks everyone. Its been a couple of weeks and I still really miss Hermes and think about him a lot. He was a really good little guy. I still have a little chinchilla shaped hole in my heart :( Apollo, our newest chin that we had "rescued" a few days before Hermes started acting sick, has started making himself at home and is getting used to us, and we have started loving him just as much, but hes still no replacement for Hermes. Its too bad that he and Hermes never had the chance to be friends, but I guess its also good that he has been spared the grief of losing a buddy. We are getting a baby male mosiac chinchilla from a breeder next weekend. Piechan, it seems we are both going with a Greek God theme in our naming :)

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »

I am sorry for your loss it is never easy
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 07:21:30 AM »

::cry222:::  It is very hard to loose a little one, especially one that fought so hard to make it.

He's crossed the Rainbow Bridge and is in chinnie heaven playing with those who have gone before him.  No more pain, no dangers, no cages ... just the love of those waiting for him to come play with them.

:hugs:   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up