Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picky about hay, they are.  (Read 2999 times)

eddiing

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Picky about hay, they are.
« on: December 05, 2009, 12:03:44 AM »

My chinchillas are very very picky about hay, whenever i fill the hay rack, i can find about 50% of it "dug" out of the hay rack and not eaten, most of it is the stem of the timothy which doesnt really seem tasty, however, i have never found the leafy part or the flowerhead left on the ground at all! 

Are your chinchillas picky about hay and what parts of hay they eat? Does your chinchilla extremely enjoy the flowerhead, leafy parts of the timothy hay?

obiwan

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Picky about hay, they are.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:59:25 PM »

I've haven't had Obi-Wan a week yet but he seems to like to pull out the hay and dump half of it on the floor of the cage. But I have never found any of the seed heads left so maybe they like them the best.  ;D Whatever makes them happy, I guess.

Advocate

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 01:25:33 AM »

Chico liked to spread the hay out all over the cage, the floor, everywhere, LOL!  But it makes it hard to clean his cage, so last week I thoroughly washed out a tin can (hominy came in it), made sure there were no sharp edges where the lid was removed, and now I just put a handful of hay down in the can and put the can in his cage -- he pulls out a little, but mostly eats what he pulls out.  Much less mess.  The hay kind of "wedges" in the can, so he can roll and push the can around and even at that, not much comes out. 

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:29:05 AM »

All chins have different tastes, and they will pick out what they like and play with the rest. Or even if there is an abundance of hay they will play with it. I pay $17.00 for a 40 pound bail that will do my chins for 4-5 months. Even with the waistage. I just let them go mad.  :D
Some would rather  hay than pellets, while some just eat a little hay.Most will throw it all over the cage.
I take a layer of hay out every night and put in fresh, though I have a couple that will chew it and mix it with the shavings. You swear there was a hamster in the cage. ::)
Debbie.nl.ca

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 05:25:49 PM »

My chin doesn't eat hay. at all.
I've offered Timothy Hay (Kaytee brand and Oxbow brand)
...Oat Hay
...Timothy with Mint
...and Alfalfa Hay
No go!
He just prefers his pellets.

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »

Apollo loves some of the flowerheads. If I give him one he'll snatch it out of my fingers and take a bite... if its good he'll gobble it up. If it's not so good he tosses it to the ground like a banana peel. ::) With the rest of the grass he'll eat some and make a mess out of the rest.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »

::silly::   Remember, hay can mold and/or sour if it does not have enough free flowing air around it. 

Always remove any hay that has been in the cage for more than 24 hours and/or that has moisture in it.

There is Meadow hay, Alfalfa hay, Timothy hay, Coastal hay and others ... you want to go with the one your little one will eat best and one that is most readily available.

Some chins preferr loose hay, some prefer it in holders and others prefer the hay cubes.   Find they one your little one likes best. 

It is unusual that a little one does not like any kind of hay.   If this is what it "appears" to be ... check out his chewing of wood and of his lava stone.  If he is avoiding chewing on these items also, you may want to get a vet to check his teeth.  a.s.a.p.  Especially if you see any drooling and/or watering in either eye.  Best to be safe and not have to be sorry.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up