Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lily has a booboo :(  (Read 1802 times)

Allyson

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Lily has a booboo :(
« on: October 30, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »

I went away for the week to visit my sister for our birthday, and left my mom in charge of animal care. I came home and first thing I did was check on everyone - and Lily has a booboo on her nose that is scabbing over. I'm pretty sure I know how she got it, I have my chinnies in a ferret nation 142, with three on the bottom (Lily, Luna, and Lexi) and two on the top (Loki and Link) -  (I'm working on getting another cage and moving the two on top to it, so the three on the bottom can have the entire ferret nation cage). One of the top two is Loki, and she sits on the one spot where they can sniff eachother through the cages... Lily has a habit of clinging to the top of her cage and "visiting" her neighbors. Now, Loki is not really friendly, and I have a feeling she nipped Lily on the nose.

I was just wondering if there is anything I should put on the nose to help it heal, or just leave it alone? It does not look infected and it is just scabbed over. Lily isn't acting out of the ordinary, and is still her friendly self. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:20:25 AM by Allyson »
Mommy to 5 chinchillas: Luna (female standard grey), Lexi (female TOV white ebony), Lily (female pink white), Loki (female white mosaic), Link (male silver mosaic)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Lily has a booboo :(
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »

::silly::   If anything, a triple antibiotic ointment like Neosproin works good. 

If there is any swelling, fever, redness or drainage ... I would get her to a vet a.s.a.p.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »

Since you believe that the housing situation is the cause. I hope that you will soon be able to move the two on top to another cage shortly. [Craigslist and such offer used cages as well] I have the same ferret nation cage with two in it with the custom trays so the plastic ones that came with it are no longer a threat. They enjoy the mobility of going from top areas to the bottom. I believe your three will totally love the extra room as well. I hope it wasn't one of the chins cage mates it's currently with...that caused the booboo. I would keep an eye on their behaviors now that your home. To make sure it wasn't one of the cage mates to have injured Lily. Just incase~ Though my breeder feels they really don't need the room they have. My two do enjoy the room and seem very happy.

Keep a watch on that nose of hers...

Jo Ann...with bulldogs you can't use the Neosporin with PAIN aid...is this the same with chins?
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 05:47:14 AM »

::silly::   I normally use just the regular Neosporin (triple antibiotic ointment).  It helps protect the wound from outside germs and softens the scab, which is usually the cause of some pain because as it dries it tends to draw the skin tighter (or feels like it any way) and the hardness of the scab will sometimes be painful when touched or bumped, if the wound is still tender or if it is infected.

Jo Ann...with bulldogs you can't use the Neosporin with PAIN aid...is this the same with chins?

I've never seen the Neosporin with PAIN aid, but I will do some research to see if I can find out. 

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »

::silly::   I normally use just the regular Neosporin (triple antibiotic ointment).  It helps protect the wound from outside germs and softens the scab, which is usually the cause of some pain because as it dries it tends to draw the skin tighter (or feels like it any way) and the hardness of the scab will sometimes be painful when touched or bumped, if the wound is still tender or if it is infected.

I've never seen the Neosporin with PAIN aid, but I will do some research to see if I can find out. 

Really you've never seen it...hugh...we actually have both types. The regular version is in the dog first aid kit. The other I use on the kids...It helps aid in the soreness that is associated with a slight cut or what have you. I am not sure if it's just a mental thing that since it says it helps...that you feel it does or you actually notice it. I've not needed it for myself.
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up