Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diet recommendations  (Read 2267 times)

KellyGraham

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Stewie
    • View Profile
Diet recommendations
« on: September 19, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »

::silly:: I was wondering what types of fruits or veggies you offer your chins, as well as what type of diet and hay you offer. I am using nutriphase gold pellets that contain a variety of other munchies and timothy hay. I offer grapes, dried cranberries, dried bananas, dried strawberries, yogurt drops (strawberry flavor) and dried apple. Is this okay?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Diet recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 07:26:19 AM »

::silly::  Which of the Nutriphase Gold formulas are you using?

. I am using nutriphase gold pellets that contain a variety of other munchies and timothy hay.

I have always found that it is best to use a high quality chinchilla pellet that does not contain "other munchies".  The "other munchies" are often what you would use as treats.  Treats, hand fed, are much more pleasing to the chinchilla in most instances, because it has your complete and undivided attention when you are giving them to him/her.  To be the center of attention is often wanted more than the treat itself.  Also, most chinchillas, like children, will fill up on the treats and leave the things that are good for him/her.

Fresh grapes may cause gas, so I will not feed my chins grapes ... the grapes in a raisin form are OK and do not seem to cause gas.  Always be cautious about using dried fruit, many times they will contain preservatives, unless you dry them yourself.   :)

Dried rosehips and dried papaya are very good for them and contain lots of vitamins they need.  I will also let my chins have a few nibbles of fresh banana as apposed to dried banana chips.  They will take a nibble or two and chew the banana while grinding their teeth in appreciation.   :::grins::  They seem to like the banana most when still very firm and not over ripe.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:12:39 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

KellyGraham

• Stewie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:24:12 AM »

The only reason I switched from pellets to a diet with pellets and other munchies was simply because (when he was eating) he ate much more than normal. I assumed it was because he preferred it over normal pellets.

You said that your chins grind their teeth in appreciation. Stewie grinds his teeth during the force feeding. I assumed it was because he didn't like the forcefeeding. (added to the fact that he trys to wiggle away the whole time)

eddiing

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:50:06 PM »

The only reason I switched from pellets to a diet with pellets and other munchies was simply because (when he was eating) he ate much more than normal. I assumed it was because he preferred it over normal pellets.

You said that your chins grind their teeth in appreciation. Stewie grinds his teeth during the force feeding. I assumed it was because he didn't like the forcefeeding. (added to the fact that he trys to wiggle away the whole time)

force feeding? why was stewie force fed, was your chinchilla not eating "at all" before?

he might be eating much more than "normal" because of the fact that there are other treat like products contained with the pellets. what was the original pellets fed to him? must of us use Mazuri, Oxbox or Tradition. and they all come highly recommended. I use mazuri myself. and for hay, i use Oxbow western timothy hay. Occasionally i do put some alfalfa cubes in the cage to mix it up.   

do you have a small digital scale? I would also weight my chins about twice every month to ensure they are still gaining weight (they are only 4 months old + change right now) or at least holding their weight.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 03:56:48 PM »

The other munchies are treats, I rarely give my chins more than one or two treats a day ... they can get to much sugar if they get to many treats.  A high quality pellet diet with hay is best for them, according to the ones that have been breeding for 25+ years.

Wiggling away is probably due to the way you are holding him.  Try keeping him completely upright and let him move around a bit between bites ever so often.  You may want to check out the videos I have on my other site, Luv 'N Chins II, under: "The First Signs of Trouble" at: http://www.luvnchins.com/ChinsIISignsTrouble.html
This kit is a new born, but much of the same will apply to one that is being hand fed due to an illness.  In kits or young ones that are 4 weeks or older do not have to do the stimulation part, unless there is a problem with him not passing his bowels.

Yes, when they grind their teeth while eating, you are giving them something they really like.   :::grins::  I'll try to put up a video of my little ones with a banana ...  I will add it to my main website and put the URL to it on here ... you can really hear them grinding there teeth when they get their banana treat.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 04:06:48 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

KellyGraham

• Stewie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 04:33:18 PM »

force feeding? why was stewie force fed, was your chinchilla not eating "at all" before?

It has been 1 week and 3 days since Stewie has eaten anything on his own. You can refer to my other post entitled "still not eating... any suggestions" and read all the updates on Stewie's condition if you would like.

I was feeding Nutriphase pellets and Kaytee timothy hay. These are the best products I can find at my local pet store.

Stewie has been to the vet three times in the last week and a half and he hasn't lost much weight since he hasn't been eating. He started at 1.75lbs. when he was seen for his upper respiratory and eye infection, and last Thursday he weighed 1.6lbs when I took him in for a pain injection and foce feeding instructional.
Pages: [1]   Go Up