Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 2155 times)

DoubleChin

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Hello everyone!
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:25:17 PM »

Well I'm happy to say that after my gf lost her 2nd Chin, Pippin, we decided to adopt another. We tried our hand with a female, but it just didn't work out. She was about 8 years old, did not like human contact at ALL, and loved to bite. We just weren't up to that challenge to we gave her to a vet friend of ours who homes Chins, in exchange for 2 boys. We named them Jake and Elwood. Jake is about 3 months old and Elwood is maybe 4 or 5? El always looks after Jake and they are always together causing mischief. I can't wait to post more pics and share my adventures with all of you!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 07:02:23 AM »

::silly::  Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum!

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind, what happened to the first two to cause their deaths?

We love pictures & chins stories!

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

DoubleChin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:36:16 AM »

Hey there

My gf's first Chin, Chili, had an impaction. First it was an eye infection then he had trouble eating and it got to his stomach. Pippin, the 2nd one, was put to sleep also after discovery of another impaction. Pip's troubles started with an ear infection. Both were about 8-9 years old.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 04:42:33 AM »

::silly::  Impaction is frequently caused by dehydration and/or the use of antibiotics.  When using an antibiotic, something has to be used to replenish the good/live bacteria in their digestive system to keep it going normally.  If not, the cure can be worse than the original illness.

Three signs of possible impending impaction is dehydration, which can be seen when the spine appears more prominent, slowing and/or stopping eating and smaller/fewer/dryer feces (poops) seen.

One of the reasons they may stop eating or cut back on the amount can be because he/she does not feel good, but it can also be a sign of impaction.  When impaction (constipation) occurs, the digestive system is shutting down ... since little or nothing is being expelled, the tummy remains full, therefore the chin has no urge/want to eat.  Once a chin's digestive system shuts down, he/she usually does not live long.

Antibiotics kill all bacteria, the good and the bad.  In the digestive system the good bacteria that it kills is often referred to as flora.

There are two ways this can be remedied, that I know of ... yogurt (my chins like the blue berry and strawberry the best) or acidophiles.

When using yogurt, you must remember to to give the yogurt 3 hours before and/or 3 hours after the doses of antibiotics.  Yogurt is a milk product and can not be used at the same time as an antibiotic and visa versa.

Acidophiles can be found in most health food stores, usually in a capsule form which can be opened and scattered over the food or mixed with the food/hay that is in a powder form.  Once the bottle is opened, it must be kept refrigerated.  Food pellets and/or hay can be pulverized in a blender (be sure to wait for it to settle to the bottom or you will have a green cloud in your kitchen) ... cooled in the refrigerator, then add the acidophiles and a few drops of water to form a paste that can be made into little raisin size portions and kept refrigerated in an air tight jar and given to your chin frequently through out the day.

Both of these methods have been proven to work well with most chinchillas that are on antibiotics.

If there is impaction, sometimes one or two almonds will help to get the system going again when used in conjunction with extra fluids.  Normally, I do not suggest nuts of any kind, except for this situation.  As your friend knows impaction can kill a chinchilla.

Just a thought ahead of time ... should any of your new chins have to be put on antibiotics.    :)

::wave::  Jo Ann

You may want to read this article:  Don't Let the Cure Kill Your Chinchilla 
at: http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/ACureCanKill.html

NOTE: Please never take any post like this as an lecture or reflecting on your or your friend, when a common problem is brought to light/mentioned, it gives a chance to talk to all on that subject  ... many will read this post that need the answer, but are to shy to ask, so one post often serves many.   :::grins::
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 06:52:59 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 07:01:58 AM »

Hi DoubleChin ,
 :2funny: love the name, got me one myself.....
welcome to the club.
Debbie.nl.ca

DoubleChin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 04:21:32 PM »

Thanks!

SO far so good....

KellyGraham

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Stewie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »

My gf's first Chin, Chili, had an impaction. First it was an eye infection then he had trouble eating and it got to his stomach. Pippin, the 2nd one, was put to sleep also after discovery of another impaction. Pip's troubles started with an ear infection. Both were about 8-9 years old.
     I was just curious as to what you did for the two chins before you made the difficult decision to euthanize. My 3 year old male chin has an impaction presently and I've been force feeding for 1 week now. Stewie hasn't eaten willingly in 2 weeks.

DoubleChin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 10:24:04 PM »

oh boy sorry to hear that, well we just gave the last guy, Pip, meds and tried to not stress him out. Jo Ann had some great advice on impactions. Pip didn't really improve and after a while just became flat and seemed like he didn't have a will to live. once we saw that we knew it was his time. her other chin, Chili, was before my time so i'm not sure what she did but i think he chewed a live electrical cord? (lamp cord i think it was) while under someone else's care, and it messed him up pretty good, that when his infections began.

from my understanding any and all means necessary must be taken to avoid infections of any kind for a chin to live a long healthy and happy life
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 10:27:46 PM by DoubleChin »

DoubleChin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 10:28:24 PM »

i just noticed i got back to this thread a little late...how's your lil one hope all is well...
Pages: [1]   Go Up