Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Cage built in closet  (Read 2272 times)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Chinchilla Cage built in closet
« on: August 28, 2009, 01:21:20 PM »

Most of your know I retired from chinchillas awhile back.  Well, I am now once again the proud owner of a chinchilla.  ::kiss99::  His name is Sam and he belonged to my nephew.  Unfortunately they moved recently and couldn't keep him so I took him in.  This way they wouldn't lose him completely and can come visit whenever they want.  I can't tell you what a joy it has been to have a chinchilla in the house again.  We had to get creative with his cage since I now have 2 indoor cats.

Fortunately we had a very small closet area in our den.  It was really too small and shallow to be useful so I got an idea.  My husband and I added a shelf midway down the closet and then lined the inside with smooth tile board.  We added untreated pine boards as ledges and as a front to the shavings area.  We built the cage front out of untreated wood and 1/2 x 1/2 inch wire.  The bottom of the closet has more shelves and a solid door for storing all of his supplies. We stained the front of the doors (where he couldn't reach) so they would match the kitchen cabinets and now it looks like the house was built that way!  We love it and he seems to also.  Since the cage starts so high the cats can't stress him.  (not that they did anyway.  He is one of those bossy chinchillas).  They do sit on the furniture across from him and watch him for hours though. ;D

Just to let you know, there are 3 cage locks on this cage for added protection and the cats are locked in the bathroom each day during feeding, dusting, and cage cleaning.  We want to sure we keep out little buddy very safe from the house cats.   ::nod::

I just thought I would share this idea in case someone else had a useless closet area.  A word of caution about our design:  Since there is no cage pan I have to  clean the shavings every other day.  I have found this is an acceptable amount of time to where all urine has been absorbed by the shavings and isn't able to soak into the wood or seep down in-between the cracks.  Some chinchillas can be messier and might require daily cleaning for this sort of cage bottom.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Chinchilla Cage built in closet
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 03:10:42 PM »

Now how cool is that, we sure can get creative eh! ::thumbsup::

I tell folks I can make a cage out of just about anything, just haven't tried a closet yet. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 06:47:09 AM »

::silly:: That 'closet cage' looks great!  I am so glad you have a chin again ... I know you missed them.

::gobananago:: ::gobananago:: ::gobananago:: JAMIE HAS A CHIN AGAIN!!! JAMIE HAS A CHIN AGAIN!!! ::banana:: ::banana:: ::banana::

::highfive::   

::fruit::  Jo Ann 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:48:45 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »

Wow, that's amazing. ::nod::
Pages: [1]   Go Up