Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mazuri or Oxbow?  (Read 20371 times)

chinchillaboy4

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • My myspace
Mazuri or Oxbow?
« on: August 04, 2006, 02:04:27 AM »

Ive been feeding Dusty oxbow pellets but my mom recently saw a store selling mazuri and she remembered that i said it was the best, which i what iv heard, but im wondering if i should switch Dusty over?

HarveyTheChin

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mazuri or Oxbow?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 03:42:46 AM »

Not that I know much, and anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe that if you are switching the food that you are feeding your chin that you should add a little but of the new food in with his old food for about a week or two.  Then mix them half and half for two more weeks, then switch him or her over completely, because chins have very VERY sensitive tummies   :-[

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 07:40:05 AM »

I would think you should stick with the Oxbow. Mazuri is suppose to be good but if it is coming out of a pet store it probably isn't fresh. I just recently switched mine to Kline that I get from a breeder not to far from me.

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 08:36:06 AM »

;) Hi Harveythechin is right do it slowly. I get my Mazuri from a breeder.

Chins To Love

• Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 10:10:26 AM »

I use Mazuri, and I order it right from their website:

www.mazuri.com

Shipping can be expensive, but it comes right to your door and it is always fresh.
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 10:16:39 AM »

I use to order Mazuri directly from them too.  I found a local pet store that will order the 25 pound bags for me at $12.99 a bag now, NO SHIPPING!!!!!  They get it right from Purina/Mazuri fresh.  You should check around to see if any pet stores or feed stores can order it for you.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Chins To Love

• Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 10:37:22 AM »

LUCKY LUCKY YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I am so jealous ::puke::.  I have checked all of the pet stores, and local feed stores and no one will order it without passing the shipping cost directly on to me, maybe I sounded too desperate when I was talking to them :doh:
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 01:09:03 PM »

;) I used to get mine for a Small pet store. But the lady is closer to my home. ::silly::

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 02:00:59 PM »

I was using Mazuri until recently. I just finished completely switching over to Purina Show Rabbit. I can already see a big difference in my chins. They look bigger and they have larger poo. They are eating tons more pellets than they used to. My little girl is up to 600 grams. She was always min tiny little BV, I guess she's not my mini chin anymore. Her neutered husband has always been tiny. He is 520 grams, but he is eating more pellets than he ever has before. I am already starting to see improvement in him.  :::grins:: I guess they just didn't like the Mazuri.
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 07:16:13 PM »

::silly::I may get fussed at, but if it will get here on time, on a regular basis and give me better results in my chins, I'm gonna try it.  ::nod::   I have always been a staunch believer in Mazuri ... but ... due to the fact it's next to impossible to get it here on a regular basis :flames: ... I've been checking on other brands of chinchilla pellets and comparing the ingredients and such.   :-\

I've spoken with some other long-term breeders and was told Manna Pro Sho is good for chinchillas and they have gotten very good results from it.  ::gossip::  So, I'm going to give it a try!  When you have 200+ hungry little mouths, you have to be able to feed them.  I'll keep you posted on the results ... pictures before the change over and after 6 months on the Manna Pro Sho and see if we can tell any difference.

::wave::
Jo Ann 
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 10:19:43 AM »

I'll keep you posted on the results

Yes do that Jo Ann.
I switched to Martins a few months back, and have had great results. I find the show rabbit much better then any pet shop chin feed I could get around here.
I was using Lani's recipe for years, show rabbit, Senior horse equine, and calf manna, but like the Martins better, it's so much easier too.
Though I would do what ever for my chins.
Debbie.nl.ca

coloblondy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 11:10:01 AM »

I was using Mazuri until recently. I just finished completely switching over to Purina Show Rabbit. I can already see a big difference in my chins. They look bigger and they have larger poo. They are eating tons more pellets than they used to. My little girl is up to 600 grams. She was always min tiny little BV, I guess she's not my mini chin anymore. Her neutered husband has always been tiny. He is 520 grams, but he is eating more pellets than he ever has before. I am already starting to see improvement in him.  :::grins:: I guess they just didn't like the Mazuri.

Is eating more, weighing more and having more poss actually more healthy for chins?  I ask this because in the case of my dogs this is not. I feed them a more expensive brand of food with less fillers. Their coats are better, they eat less because they are getting better nutrients in the food, their stools are less because of course less fillers and they have a ton more energy. 2 friends that breed and show dogs tell me the food they are on is awesome. That is why I ask is this better for chins?

I recently found my Mazuri at a nearby feedlot. It wasn't as fresh as I would like it though. I plan on talking to them about when they order and how much. However if the Purina Show Rabbit is that good I might try that. My girl has always been on the thin side and a little extra weight would never hurt her.

Misskitz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 11:20:07 AM »

I personly use Oxbow pellets and Oxbow hay, But sense Sarah says Purina Show Rabbit is good I'll do research on it!  ::nod::  I am trying to help Strawberry Shortcake eat more because her owner give her so many diarrhea prevention pills (even though she didn't have it) her stomach is messed up because of it.  :flames:  i feel very bad for her! ::sadtears::
"don't let nobody tell your life is over......be every color that you are!"

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 08:54:16 PM »

How can you tell how fresh the pellets are? And what should you look for in them when you are choosing a pellet?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 01:08:18 AM »

::silly::Hi Jenova,

Fresh pellets are the best  ::nod::  ... One way to tell is by the date on the bag ... if it is a mill date, that means the day it was processed (Mazuir has this on their bags), IF stored properly (under 70 degrees F), it is suppose to be good for 90 days after the mill date, according to Purina.

An expiration date is the last date the company advises the food is to be used.

The amount of sediment in the bottom of the container will give you a good idea if it is no longer beneficial to give your chin ... the more sediment (dust) there is, the more the nutrients have been broken down and more nutritional value that has been lost.   :-[

The ones that are "Deluxe Mix"  are a big "no-no" ... they have a bunch of treats mixed in with the pellets and like a child ... when given the choice ... a chinchilla will eat the treats and leave the stuff that is good for them.  ::puke::

Oxbow, Mazuri, Traditions, Manna Pro Sho are all good and have every thing they need except the added hay and a lava stone, which all chins should have at all times.  :::grins::

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up