Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie from NH  (Read 3120 times)

love_my_chin

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Proud Chin Mommy ~Crash b. 4/22/09~
    • View Profile
Newbie from NH
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »

Hey everyone! My name is Stacie and I am a proud chin mommy from NH. Just wanted to say hey to everyone and was wondering if you guys could help me out with a few things.

1. My chin, Crash, is always banging on his cage like he is a prisoner waiting to escape  ::pull hair::. I let him out for atleast an hr-2hrs every day. I talk to him, I play music, and I give him lots of attention. He has already broken one of the doors on his cage that i had to replace. He has plenty of toys to play with and ledges to jump on. I'm wondering why he is acting like this?? ::confused::

2. He never seems to let me hold him. As soon as I pick him up he just squirms and tries to run away. He willingly will come to my hands and when he is out of his cage he will run up to me and jump on me but he just wont let me hold him. :-\

Thanks everyone for any suggestions you have for me!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Newbie from NH
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 04:37:14 AM »

::silly::  Welcome to the Wonderfully Crazy World of Chinchillas!

A chinchilla is like a cat ... it wants to do, what it wants to do, when it wants to do it.   It's curious and loves to explore.

It's also like a puppy ... loves to run around and play, getting into everything and chewing everything it shouldn't.

It's a miniature clown that will do anything and everything it can think of, to get (and keep) your attention.

They are like humans in that they have a full ray of emotions and do not like to be caged ... even if it is for their own good.

They are a cross between Enstine and Hercules ... if they can't figure out how to open the latch, then they use brute strength.

1. My chin, Crash, is always banging on his cage like he is a prisoner waiting to escape.  ::pull hair:: 
  He is.
... and I give him lots of attention.
Take it as a complement ... if he did not enjoy your company, he would not want more of it.
He has plenty of toys to play with and ledges to jump on. I'm wondering why he is acting like this??
  Would you be happy spending 22 out of 24 hours in one room?  Even if you knew it was better for you?  Chinchillas are like children, they want it all.   :D
He never seems to let me hold him. As soon as I pick him up he just squirms and tries to run away.
Maybe you're not holding him quite right ... chinchillas need to know they are safe when being held.  They like to be held close to you ... but most important of all, they need for you to support their hind legs at all times.  If you don't , they think they are going to fall.
He willingly will come to my hands and when he is out of his cage he will run up to me and jump on me but he just wont let me hold him.
Chinchillas aren't much into petting and holding, they like to show off for you and hear you laughing.   :::grins::  When you are laughing, they know you are happy and that they are pleasing you.

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:17:58 AM »

Hi Stacie welcome to the club, we love sharing antics & pics. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Petco Chinchillas

• My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 05:43:30 PM »

Hello, And welcome to:     THE LIFE AND TIMES OF CHINCHILLAS!!! rofl     I know you are going to like it here, and there is great info all over this site!!!
God Bless Chinchillas!

love_my_chin

• Proud Chin Mommy ~Crash b. 4/22/09~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »

Thank you to every one that has replied to my post  ;) every one see so nice on here!! I was looking in this site long before I became a member to get info for my chin  ::chinhappy::
Pages: [1]   Go Up