Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: whitish discharge all over cage  (Read 6995 times)

mbaker1238

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
whitish discharge all over cage
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »

maisy has been cleaning herself alot and has been leaving a whitish milky fluid all over the shelves of her cage. could this be a urinary tract infection?

shadowborne

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: whitish discharge all over cage
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:44:05 PM »

You need to take your chinchilla to the vet ASAP. I just lost a chinchilla to the exact same thing and did not catch it in time. It is an infection and ours turned out to be an infection in the uterus. I strongly recommend you take your chinchilla in ASAP.

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »

what happens when chinchillas go into heat? is there discharge? she is still acting normal....what other symptoms did your chinchilla have? how long after you noticed the discharge did she pass away? i plan on taking her first thing tomorrow morning...

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:56:27 AM »

::silly::   It could be that she is in season, but, normally they do not leave any traces of whitish fluid around the cage.  Chinchillas are very clean animals as a rule.

It sounds like she could have a very bad infection, I would get her to a vet a.s.a.p. !

Once you see signs that a chinchilla is sick, it is already very sick.  In the wild, they had to hide any weakness or injury or they would become easy prey ... they still carry this trait today.   

By the time you see trouble, it has been there for a while ... when it comes to chinchillas.

Please let us know what the vet says.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

shadowborne

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 08:27:40 AM »

We saw her licking and a little swollen on Sunday and took her to the vet. She passed on Thursday but for us it was a bit overweight and they had to do surgery on ours. I say take her in, let them know what's going on so they can work on getting her better.

Do not take how mine died into consideration as she has problems with change that was unhealthy and ours spiked a 105 fever after surgery which lead to her death. All chins respond to treatments different so just show your love and support for her and if she has to stay visit her the next day.

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 09:47:24 AM »

i took her to the vet this morning and he told me that she is in heat. he looked her over and said that each chinchilla is different when it comes to being in heat and that sometimes they do have a whitish discharge mixed with urine. he checked her lady parts and her teeth and said that it will last 3 to 5 days. he also said that because they are such clean animals that sometimes they overdue it with cleaning, hence why she is constantly licking herself. i am still gonna keep an eye on her to make sure she is ok, but i'm deffinately glad that i took her.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »

I would get a 2nd opinion. I have never have a female leave any white fluid in the cage ever.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 06:37:58 AM »

::silly::  You have done the best you can do.   If you trust this vet and have faith in his abilities, then listen to him. 

If you are not to sure of the vet and/or she shows any signs of loosing weight, not eating or drinking as much, then, it would be good to consider a second opinion.  Just keep a closer eye on her than you normally would, for any changes and for safety sake.

We will all keep our fingers crossed the vet is correct and that there is no reason for alarm.   :)

She may be having the discharge while napping/sleeping and leaving the discharge where she has slept.  Normally, the discharge is not that excessive, unless there is an infection, but I am sure there are always exceptions to the rule.  Did he do any testing of the discharge or urine or blood?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 06:42:12 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 07:20:47 AM »

maisy is not losing any weight, she is still eating and drinking....i havent found any discharge in her cage since yesterday. she is still cleaning herself alot but i'm sure she is just trying to stay clean. the vet did not take a sample of the fluid because he couldnt get any to come out, he said that if it was an infection then it would come out and he would swab it. he did however look at her lady parts with a scope for any swelling or abnormalties and said that everything looks good that she is just in heat.

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »

so i brought maisy back to the vets today because the white discharge reoccured, the vet put her on baytril twice a day for 14 days. how often should i give her yogurt....and what if she doesnt like it? any tricks?

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 09:43:34 PM »

she deffinately wont eat the yogurt at all. what else can i give her? is there anything that i can just put into her water?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »

::silly::  With yogurt, it's an acquired taste ... I use strawberry and blue berry with real fruit in it ... I get the individual serving size, to prevent waste.  Yogurt would have to be given half way between the doses of antibiotics ... at least 3 hours before or after the meds.

Some chins love it ... I have one that literally cries for it.

Some chins will tolerate it, after they get use to it.

Some chins will never take it ... HINT:  The ones that will never take it is the ones that stand on their hind legs, turn round and round in circles as they try to spit it out and wipe it off their lips as they are twirling around.  You can't help but laugh, but at the same time you have to feel sorry for them, too.   ::)

If you have the latter one ... the one that refuses ... acidophiles is a good substitute.  You can get it at the health food store in capsules.  REFRIGERATE after opening. 
When using this method, I put hay {1 cup packed} and pellets {1/4 cup} in the blender and pulverize it  (wait till all settles to the bottom of the container, or you will have a green cloud in your kitchen).
... Allow it to cool by placing it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes ... after it cools ...
... Add one capsule of acidophilus and mix it up by hand
... Take a few drops of cold water at a time and make mini footballs (about the size of a raisin)
... Give him these ... as many as he wants ... but, only one at a time, so that the acidophilus remains active
... Store what is left over in an airtight jar or container. 

Keep us posted!

My Little Jamie

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 07:47:08 PM »

ok, i will have to try that. she absolutely hates it....i ended up shoving it into her mouth with a syringe, poor thing :(  so i ended up buying the complete probiotic feel from american pet diner (http://www.americanpetdiner.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=americanpetdiner&Product_Code=Complete&Category_Code=Chinchillas) anyone used this or heard of it. it's bannana flavored so i guess ill try it. ill keep you posted...poor maisy looks so sad. does 14 days seem like a long time to be giving her baytril? ...twice daily, 0.7 ml (it's a suspension of water and baytril)

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 03:16:01 PM »

Oh, I am sorry she is so sad........ I am not really sure if baytril for 14 days is long.......Did the vet tell you to?

Anyway, 14 days probably seems long to Maisy.
God Bless Chinchillas!

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 07:54:17 PM »

yea, poor thing....the vet did tell me 14 days, it just seems like a really long time twice a day. but i'm gonna call him tomorrow and see what he thinks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up