Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sleeping in Urine  (Read 1718 times)

Annick

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Sleeping in Urine
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:12:03 AM »

Hello!

My chinchillas are still young 2 and 3 months old.  I'm trying to litter box train them, but some days are better then others.  :::(((  I've heard that chinchillas are clean critters and will usually go urinate in a corner, but is it normal for them to sleep in the corner they also urinate in. :-\  I have three litter pans and they go in all three.  i was going to remove them one by one the better they get at urinating in the litter pans.  The forth corner has their food bowl.  Which they don't urinate in but will urinate around it.  But I understand they won't be perfect at it.  They aren't dogs.  But I read that its' nto good for them to sleep in their urine cause it might ruin their fur.  I tried putting their bed on a shelf instead of the floor pan and they still urinate up there and I don't want to try again in case they learn to urinate on the shelves which thank goodness they haven't.  But how can I stop them from sleeping in their urine?  Any suggestions might help!  Will they start sleeping on the shelves as they get older?  I also have a hammock but they only sit in it for a while and then move on to another shelf.

Thanks,
Annick ;)

ahappycamper

• View Profile
Re: Sleeping in Urine
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:38:30 AM »

Po used to sleep in his litter all the time, and roll around in it, which was sort of gross....since then I have used a wire bottom and things are so much more hygienic now. Would you ever think about uisng a wire bottom?

Annick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:43:10 AM »

Hi thanks for the response,  I do have a wire bottom but since its' a ferret cage I've flipped the wire bottom and put the metal bottom on top.  I'm afraid they hurt themselves on the wire floor.  The spacing on the grate for some reason is really big.  But so far everytime they've peed on the cozy bed I've removed it and washed it and they dont' get it for a while until its' washed. I've now hooked it on a high shelf and they've used it and for two days now no peepee... so I've got my fingers crossed! I hope it continues to stay that way!

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 06:09:36 PM »

Maybe, you can move their bed down to where it was before and leave it there for a while then throw it away and get a new one and put it in a different spot.   It may work, but  ::think:: I don`t know.
God Bless Chinchillas!
Pages: [1]   Go Up