Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New chinchilla owner  (Read 1783 times)

ahappycamper

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New chinchilla owner
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:21:42 PM »

Hi everyone, newbie here. I actually never planned on owning a chinchilla, but recently, I was at a friend's house and noticed he owned one. My friend is great, but I got the feeling he didn't really now how to take care of the little fella, in addition to not having enough time. The little guy was pretty much confined to a small cage the whole time, with rarely any time to come out and run around the room. There was no real connection with his pet from what I noticed. He also attempted to sell the chinchilla on multiple times with no luck. Fast forward two weeks later, he's going on vacation and asks me to take care of him. I've had him for about four weeks now, knowing that my friend has so little time to spend with the guy, I asked if I could adopt him permanently, and of course his answer was yes! After all the times he tried to give him away on craigslist, I'm sure he's relieved. I've come here to gather some information on the little guy, and how to build our bond and of course to talk about how he's doing.

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: New chinchilla owner
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 02:12:03 AM »

::hither:: Welcome aboard . You have come to the right place to learn about chinchillas.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:40:57 AM »

::silly::  Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum and to "The Wonderful World of Chinchillas!"

They do require some special stuff and special care, but are worth every minute of it!  I'm glad you rescued that little fella from a home that did not want him/her.

Any questions you may have, feel free to ask!  We are all here to learn from eachother.

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S. There are no dumb questions ... only regrets they were not ask!
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:03:20 AM »

Awww congrats to you both, I bet he's happy to be with you.
He should have had time to settle in by now. Get him coming to you for treats, Tap on the dust bath when you give him one and watch how he gets excited to hear that sound. Take him in your arms and cuddle him under your neck.
Sit on the floor with him and let him run & jump all over you with out touching him. Then begin by gently petting & stroking him. Coax him to jump up on you with a treat, one little cheerio or something. He'll soon be searching you for treats.Try ti keep it all routine so he knows what to expect next.
Like let him have a few minutes of free run, then sit on the floor with him. After he starts jumping on you give him a treat.
Watch and see how fast he jumps back on you looking for another treat.
There are many things you can do to bond with them, and I am sure others have methods they use, but it's a slow process that gets the best rewards.

Ya and what's his name? What color is he, and about how old is he?
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up