Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I ready to be an owner? Plus a few questions and advice.  (Read 1652 times)

Aciphex

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

These are the most knowledgeable forums I've seen on Chins and I've been contemplating getting one for I'd say about maybe 3 months now. I've done a lot research I even installed an AC unit in my room (had to do it eventually) I bought a thermometer/humidity-meter(?) and added together my room is roughly 100-120 I plan on doing some AC on all night then off during the day tests. I've found some decent chin suppliers in my area and read up on all the toxic/unhealthy feeds and equipment (like cherry branches and plastic homes) I even setup a section for a three layer cage.

But I still have my doubts. And a few more questions.

1. My room is somewhat small, and when the door is closed the air gets trapped in, will my chin be okay? I would leave the door open but my roommate has an extremely undisciplined small dog that will yap at anything and I refuse to have it interact in any shape or form with my chin until that dog gets some real training. But we came to an understanding and when the dog is in the yard the door will be open. And when its in it will be closed. But a majority of the time the door will be closed

2. I work the mid shift (11am to 8pmish) so I will be most noisy during that time of day, I tend to have the TV + computer on, with the most noise coming from my TV and my AC unit, and maybe some music from my computer, will my chin be okay with so much noise on my days off and when I come home from work?

3. I know chins have a tendency to chew on carpet (our whole house is carpet) is there anyway to prevent that or keep it to a minimum for his playtimes?

4. I live in southern California the south bay area (Hawthorne/Torrance not the upstate south bay San Fran area, weird I know) are there any breeders you guys recommend in that area? I found one in Riverside but its about an hour or 2 drive and I don't want my chin to be scared for so long. I was hoping someone may know of one closer.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Am I ready to be an owner? Plus a few questions and advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 05:53:23 AM »

::silly::  Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum.   :)   

Sounds like you want to be a responsible "chin-parent".   :::grins::  Wish there were more like you.  You are putting the chin first - even before you get it.   :::grins:: 
You are the one that will have to decide what is best for your chinchilla, if you get one, and there is much to learn.  We are all learning things daily about these precious little fur balls.

... my roommate has an extremely undisciplined small dog that will yap at anything and I refuse to have it interact in any shape or form with my chin ...

There is an article I would like for you to read:  " The Possible Effects of Other Animals On Chinchillas " at: http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/ Please, check at the bottom of that page for the article link.  This is my sister website where I address medical and emotional concerns of chinchillas (not kid friendly).  I am constantly adding to it.  All four chinchillas in this article are still with me ... 4 years later ... and will remain here.   ::nod::

Here is another article on a dog and a chin on a much lighter note: "A Chin's Point of View" ... a three page story done in cartoon form (but with pictures of the real animals).   :::grins:: 

We have two Great Danes one, Lady, loves and is allowed to play with my chins and they with her ... and the other, Raven, is not even allowed to be in the same room.  Lady considers the chins her friends. Raven looks at the chins as play toys.
At:  http://www.luvnchins.com/AChinsPointOfView.html  , My main website it is kid friendly.

Your room is fine, as long as the temperature is kept cool ... at all times.  The daydime is when it would get the hottest and would be a time the chin would need the airconditioner the most.

I work the mid shift (11am to 8pmish) so I will be most noisy during that time of day, I tend to have the TV + computer on, with the most noise coming from my TV and my AC unit, and maybe some music from my computer, will my chin be okay with so much noise on my days off and when I come home from work?

As long as the noise is kept at a reasonable level, the chin should be fine.  Note: Chinchillas do not like loud sudden noises that some programs/music makes ... so do consider that.   :blush2:   Chins nap during the day and will ignore most noise, unless they find it interesting ... then they nap at night also.

Chewing on things they should not chew on?   Playtime outside of the cage should always be closely supervised - with no distractions!  This is your one-on-one time with your chin.   ::silly::   NEVER allow your chin to play on the rug within 48 hours after being it has been cleaned ... the chemicals used to clean it, can enter his/her body via her/his feet and could be deadly.  I use vinegar and water to clean my carpets ... it's a excellent cleaner and much less toxic than most cleaners.  Also NEVER allow your little one to play in a room that has recently been sprayed for bugs ...these chemicals will also kill chinchillas.

I live in southern California the south bay area (Hawthorne/Torrance not the upstate south bay San Fran area, weird I know) are there any breeders you guys recommend in that area? I found one in Riverside but its about an hour or 2 drive and I don't want my chin to be scared for so long. I was hoping someone may know of one closer.

Your best bet may be to contact Lani at CA Chins ... she would probably be able to steer you in the right direction.  Calchins@aol.com <Calchins@aol.com>  Their website is here: http://www.cachins.org/

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up