Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wet private areas?  (Read 2809 times)

SMOGOzCINDY

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Wet private areas?
« on: July 02, 2009, 10:40:38 AM »

Hi everyone. I've been getting a lot of help from you guys by lurking on the forum since last August. I finally came across something that I couldn't find already mentioned on the forum so here I go..

My Smogo is a female, almost a year old (I got her in December 2008. Don't really know her actual dob.) Anyways, I noticed on Tuesday that her, um, private areas seemed wet. I never noticed this before so I'm a little concerned. I know that some chinchillas don't clean themselves very well but Smogo has always been very hygienic, in my opinion. That area has always been dry and clean before.

We clean her cage two times a week and let her bathe regulary.

Does anyone know what it can be? What should I do?  ::shrug::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Wet private areas?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 05:30:03 PM »

::silly::   Does she have a cagemate?  If yes ... is there a possibility it is a male?  If the answer to both questions is a yes ... they're probably making little kits in the near future.   :::grins::

Is is wet/moist just around the opening, or on the majority of her bottom?

If the answer to both questions is "no" ... Is the discharge clear? or whitish? or yellow?  The answer to this question is very important.

Are her 'privates' swollen at all?

I'll watch for your reply.   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

SMOGOzCINDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:30:20 PM »

::silly::   Does she have a cagemate?  If yes ... is there a possibility it is a male?  If the answer to both questions is a yes ... they're probably making little kits in the near future.   :::grins::

Is is wet/moist just around the opening, or on the majority of her bottom?

If the answer to both questions is "no" ... Is the discharge clear? or whitish? or yellow?  The answer to this question is very important.

Are her 'privates' swollen at all?

I'll watch for your reply.   :)

Thank you for your reply Jo Ann!

No, she doesn't have a cagemate.

It's only wet around the opening.

The discharge is whitish clear, if that makes any sense.

I didn't notice any swelling but now that you mention it, i think it looks a little swollen.

There was a time about a month and half ago when we got another chinchilla. It was a male and we ended up returning him because we didn't they got along. They played together the day we brought him home and watched them most of the time. I must admit there was about 5 minutes when they played unattended. I didn't think much of it because they were fine.

Could they have mated in those 5 minutes?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 06:04:01 AM »

::silly::  Good to hear it is a whitish-clear and slightly swollen ... she is probably in season.  Check her again and this time look for a tiny dot of what looks like blood right in the opening.  If it is there ... she is in season.  You will see below photos of a chin in season and not in season.  If you notice the one where she is in season the fur looks almost matted, it's not, it's only the moisture from the discharge.

BUT ... being in season now does not mean she may or may not be pregnant, also.  Female chinchillas have two uterus and can be pregnant in one side and will still go into season and be able to get pregnant in the other side.  This is rare, but does happen on occasions ... it's called superfoetation.  Below is a picture of two kits that were delivered here under those circumstances.  Brother and sister, ebony and tan.  Both lived, which is even more rare. 

It only takes about 15 to 30 seconds for chinchillas to successfully mate.  Keep an eye on her ... especially around 111 days from the day you had the male chinchilla with her.  It is doubtful that she is pregnant ... but not impossible.

ALSO ... The females also have two sets of mammary glands - the teats on the right side and the teats on the left side are two different "systems".  If one side is damaged to the point it no longer works, the kits can get milk from the other set.   :::grins::

If the discharge was yellow, orange or bloody, it would be a visit to the vet a.s.a.p. because it could be a number of things from infection to a miscarriage.

Hope this helps!   :)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:32:05 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

SMOGOzCINDY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 08:58:06 AM »

::silly::  Good to hear it is a whitish-clear and slightly swollen ... she is probably in season.  Check her again and this time look for a tiny dot of what looks like blood right in the opening.  If it is there ... she is in season.  You will see below photos of a chin in season and not in season.  If you notice the one where she is in season the fur looks almost matted, it's not, it's only the moisture from the discharge.

BUT ... being in season now does not mean she may or may not be pregnant, also.  Female chinchillas have two uterus and can be pregnant in one side and will still go into season and be able to get pregnant in the other side.  This is rare, but does happen on occasions ... it's called superfoetation.  Below is a picture of two kits that were delivered here under those circumstances.  Brother and sister, ebony and tan.  Both lived, which is even more rare. 

It only takes about 15 to 30 seconds for chinchillas to successfully mate.  Keep an eye on her ... especially around 111 days from the day you had the male chinchilla with her.  It is doubtful that she is pregnant ... but not impossible.

ALSO ... The females also have two sets of mammary glands - the teats on the right side and the teats on the left side are two different "systems".  If one side is damaged to the point it no longer works, the kits can get milk from the other set.   :::grins::

If the discharge was yellow, orange or bloody, it would be a visit to the vet a.s.a.p. because it could be a number of things from infection to a miscarriage.

Hope this helps!   :)

Thank you so much for all the information and help Jo Ann!! 

I'll be sure to keep an eye on her. I've already marked it on my calendar.  :::grins::

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:07:58 AM »

Good to know nothing is wrong!! ;) I have been keeping up with this forum and wanted to tell you how releived I am that nothing is wrong! I get sad even if I see a dead animal on the side of the road. Hope she lives a long life!! :::grins::
God Bless Chinchillas!

SMOGOzCINDY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »

Good to know nothing is wrong!! ;) I have been keeping up with this forum and wanted to tell you how releived I am that nothing is wrong! I get sad even if I see a dead animal on the side of the road. Hope she lives a long life!! :::grins::

THANK YOU!!  :::grins::

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 10:16:43 AM »

Your Welcome! ;)
God Bless Chinchillas!
Pages: [1]   Go Up