Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Healthy treats for Chins?  (Read 2967 times)

Velvet

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Sir Felix the Fuzzball - Beloved by all!!!
    • View Profile
Healthy treats for Chins?
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:31:23 AM »

Hi guys!!

Just wanted to find out what other healthy treats there are that are safe to give chins (in tiny chin-size portions of course!!!),  I know raisins (I cut them into 6! lol) is there anything else around the house that will be okay to give him? I read apple somewhere?  But with or without skin?

Thanks guys!!!
~Meg~<br /><br />1 x Chinnie (Felix), 1.5 x Horses (Velvet and Foal to be), 2x Cats (Marmite and Scrappy)

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
Re: Healthy treats for Chins?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »

I got some treats from the breeder I bought my chin from. Maybe you could check with the breeder and see if she/he has any treats to give you. ;) I wouldn`t give my chin an apple with or without the skin. :::((( it may cause some problems if you are not to careful. Also be careful how much treats you give your chin.                 

Jessica L.
God Bless Chinchillas!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:44:11 AM »

::silly::  Treats are not necessary and should be given sparingly.  A chinchilla can live on hay and water alone (a vet will often put them on hay and water only when they are or have been sick).  There are treats that are good for chinchillas and give them added vitamins and nutrients, such as: dried papaya and dried rose hips are both full of vitamins.

I give mine a very thin (transparent) slice or a cube (about 1/2 the size of a sugar cube) of apple is good, IF you know the apple tree it came from was not sprayed with insecticides. The only ones I trust are grown by me or someone I know personally, that I know does not spray their trees. 

Three or four chinnie nibbles of a fresh banana ... my chins practically demand them and make sure they remind me if I am late with it.   :D   They even grind their teeth while eating it, to let me know how much they love it.  The same with fresh kiwi.  I do not use the dried bananas or dried kiwi because of the preservatives that may be in them, but I have heard of and know many who do give them to their chins dried fruit ... it's a personal choice.

The even more important thing to know is what NOT to give them. 
1] Nuts is the #1 thing NOT to give your chinchilla ... it's system is not made to properly digest the natural oils in nuts and, over time, can cause a fatty liver, which is usually fatal.
2] No citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, grapefruit ... their systems do not like it.
3] No acid fruits or vegtables such as tomatoes.
4] No broccoli, cabbage, sweet potatoes, beans or any vegtable that causes gas in humans ... it does the same in chinchillas ... these cause gas to develop in their digestive tract.  For a chinchilla gas is not only painful, but usually lethal.
4]   ::puke::  No meats or meat byproducts ... a chinchilla is a vegetarian by nature, not by choice.  Chinchillas can not digest meat or meat by products and will usually be dead within 24 to 48 hours of eating it.

I'm sure there are allot more that can be added to the list of what is safe to eat and what is not safe.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:52:08 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ahappycamper

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 03:13:28 AM »

::silly::  Treats are not necessary and should be given sparingly.  A chinchilla can live on hay and water alone (a vet will often put them on hay and water only when they are or have been sick).  There are treats that are good for chinchillas and give them added vitamins and nutrients, such as: dried papaya and dried rose hips are both full of vitamins.

I give mine a very thin (transparent) slice or a cube (about 1/2 the size of a sugar cube) of apple is good, IF you know the apple tree it came from was not sprayed with insecticides. The only ones I trust are grown by me or someone I know personally, that I know does not spray their trees. 

Three or four chinnie nibbles of a fresh banana ... my chins practically demand them and make sure they remind me if I am late with it.   :D   They even grind their teeth while eating it, to let me know how much they love it.  The same with fresh kiwi.  I do not use the dried bananas or dried kiwi because of the preservatives that may be in them, but I have heard of and know many who do give them to their chins dried fruit ... it's a personal choice.

The even more important thing to know is what NOT to give them. 
1] Nuts is the #1 thing NOT to give your chinchilla ... it's system is not made to properly digest the natural oils in nuts and, over time, can cause a fatty liver, which is usually fatal.
2] No citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, grapefruit ... their systems do not like it.
3] No acid fruits or vegtables such as tomatoes.
4] No broccoli, cabbage, sweet potatoes, beans or any vegtable that causes gas in humans ... it does the same in chinchillas ... these cause gas to develop in their digestive tract.  For a chinchilla gas is not only painful, but usually lethal.
4]   ::puke::  No meats or meat byproducts ... a chinchilla is a vegetarian by nature, not by choice.  Chinchillas can not digest meat or meat by products and will usually be dead within 24 to 48 hours of eating it.

I'm sure there are allot more that can be added to the list of what is safe to eat and what is not safe.

Jo Ann it's funny that you bring the nuts thing up. The other day I was at a breeder's store buying some supplies for Po and I noticed they had raw ALMONDS as treats that you can buy for your chinchilla? I was completely confused.  ::shrug::

As of now I've fed Po raisins, chamomile flowers, and steel cut oats as treats so there's no way I'm taking chances with nuts anyways! There are so many other choices out there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:56:14 PM by ahappycamper »

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:51:50 AM »

::silly::  Manufacturers do not do their research ... they look up the word chinchilla ... and see it is in the rodent family ... so they assume it can have anything a rat can have ... :doh:  NO WAY.  If you notice, products that were made for gerbils, Guinea pigs, mice, and rabbits before, now have "chinchilla" added to it and/or a picture of a chinchilla added to the label.  Just because a manufacture says it is OK, does not mean it is.   ???

An almond is the only nut I would give a chinchilla ... and then ONLY UNDER SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES ... if a chinchilla is impacted (severely constipated, can not pass it's poop or it's poop is small and hard and few in number), I will, as a last ditch effort to save it ... give it one (maybe 2) almonds to make it's system unblock and allow it to poop. 

One lady did this for her chin and when it pooped, it was a string of pellets stuck to each other 3 1/2 inches long!   :o    This particular chin would have died otherwise.

Just because they like the taste of something does not mean it is safe for them to eat.  A chin that lived on the east coast of the US several years ago was given a baby back rib bone w/meat by a visitor that did not know they are strict vegetarians.  When the owner realized it ... she called ... but it was to late ... the chin died within 36 hours.  The rawhide chews many people give their dogs is a meat byproduct and will kill a chinchilla.  They do not make good 'chew toys' for your chinchilla. 

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up