Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: male chin wants a girlfriend  (Read 3631 times)

kirby

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
male chin wants a girlfriend
« on: June 13, 2009, 09:19:18 AM »

We have only one standard male chinchilla and sometimes he gets in the mood,if you know what I mean, with dark colored stuffed animals or our hands and arms. He is not neutured. Any one else ever experience this with their males? It is funny when he is being romantic with stuffed animals because he will bark at you if you try to stop him. Liz
Liz

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: male chin wants a girlfriend
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 04:20:28 AM »

::silly::  LOL This could be what is going on, but, the same 'actions' in the chinchilla world are also used to decide who will be the dominate or alpha/boss chin.  This could be his way of saying "I'm the boss around here!"     Especially when the action is to your hand or arm.   This can be a way of 'claiming' you as belonging to him.   ::)

We have one female chin that has claimed my husband as hers.  If Bill and I hug or kiss in front of her, it makes her mad (jealous) and she will spray me every time I pass her cage for the next 3 days.  Even getting her a mate did not stop this.  ( Guess she's in love with my hubby.   :D )

As far as his "barking" at you when you make him stop, could still make his actions a show of dominance or one of 'affection' ... neither of which, is it acceptable (by a chinchilla) to be interrupted by an outside party ... it is understandable that it makes him mad.     rofl 

Having him neutered would not be the answer.  1) Neutering or spaying of a chinchilla is a very delicate operation.  Unless the vet is highly qualified and very experienced in this area, the results can be devastating.  Chinchillas rarely react to surgery in a positive way.  2) If the actions are not sexual in nature, but only a dominance issue, the actions will continue regardless of the surgery.

If it is a dominance issue, when he tries it with your hand/arm and you make him stop ... you are showing him you are the boss, not him.   :::grins::

::howdythere::  Jo Ann 

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 08:00:23 AM »

Yes I would say he's putting that toy in it's place  :D
They are funny little critters, and sounds like your just one of the herd, congrats some introductions don't go as well. ;)

I think he reallllllllly likes you  ::kiss99::
Debbie.nl.ca

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 04:40:05 PM »

You really need to be prepared if you decide to add a "girlfriend"... to have two cages...and a cage that will house the baby chins that will come from those pairings that is escape proof from the itty babies that will follow a pairing. Also be prepaired...not all chins get along...I've read some frustrating stories of chins not tolerating other chins. So you must be prepared to house them seperately if they do not accept each other. Also...do some research...you may have to hand feed your baby chins if there is something wrong...will you be able to feed them every 2 hours...It takes a lot of dedication...and some babies can fight each other...and really hurt the other. So be prepared for unplanned medical as well...Just make a list of pros and cons...and see if you really want to continue on with this avenue of a girlfriend for your male.

I love my chins...I got two males as babies just weaned. And my guys get along. And I feel so fortunate for that. After reading others woes of not being so fortunate. I am glad your asking about the topic your considering...verses just running out to purchase a female. That is wise first step...

I commend those dedicated breeders...but...I unfortunately...will never fit the bill to qualify as such. But it doesn't mean that I don't love my chins...I just can't fantom dealing with the things that can go wrong...
~Darlene

kirby

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:05:19 PM »

We won't be getting Kirby a girlfriend. I do not have the knowledge to raise baby chins although baby chinchillas are adorable. We just like having one as a pet. I thought he was thinking my arm and the stuffed animals where female chinchillas. With Kirby's personality he probably is trying to be the boss! Too funny! I am also happy to report healthwise he is doing good. His fur he pulled out is growing back. It's so short and fuzzy. He get crabby when I touch his new fur. Do all chinchillas jump when they bark? And do other people call it barking or is there a different way people describe the noise?
Liz

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 06:35:42 AM »

Gotcha~ ;)

I also call it barking...though my boys will also chatter as I call it. When they are out playing...It's not as vocal as barking. My first fella when he was a baby barked...but once the other one was weaned and placed with him in two weeks...he no longer barked. Now they do a chatter that is softer...Like giggling my son says.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »

::silly::  Here is a URL you might want to visit ... it gives most of the chinchilla sounds and a description of each one of them ... it's the best site I have found for this ... it's called Michael's Chinchilla Home Page at: http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/index_en.htm

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:02:06 AM »

It's the contact sound our chins will do when they are out and about playing...they will go up to each other...and make this noise to each other...and hop off again...
~Darlene

Pikachu

• SolsticeSun
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:09:42 PM »

My Chinchilla, Pikachu makes the funniest sound. Whenever I take her out of her cage to go into the bathroom so she can have her playtime, she makes this sound that sounds like hiccups, and looks at me but bounces off before she finishes making the sound. I have no idea what she's trying to tell me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up