Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cages  (Read 3752 times)

Pankakes

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Rainbow Sprinkles
Cages
« on: May 17, 2009, 09:43:12 AM »

Okay, a while back I had found this website with what seemed to be good chinchilla cages (I cant find the site now though.... =/ )
Any way, Ive been samving up all year so far to buy my chinchilla a nicer, bigger cage to run around in. Does anyone know what would be best to look for in a new cage?
I know plastic is a no-no and I want a slide out tray bottum so its easyer to clean.
Also if I buy the cage online, it would have to be from a seller that accepts the prepaid credit gift cad things since Im not old enough to have my own credit card. (Im not a fan of mailing in my money....).
Also, should I get a cage with metal ledges in it already, or should I just save up a little longer and get wooden ledges in a cahe that doesnt come with ledges?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Cages
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:34:40 AM »

::silly::  Martin's Cages is a good site for chinchilla-safe cages ... at: http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/chinchilla/  They have both kinds "With Drop In Pan" then click on the arrow pointing down and it will give you the price for "With Pullout Pan".

Also, should I get a cage with metal ledges in it already, or should I just save up a little longer and get wooden ledges in a cahe that doesnt come with ledges?

You can always replace the metal ledges/balconies with wood after you get your cage, if you would like to do that.    ::nod::

It is very easy to replace/make the balconies and/or leaping ledges ... they can be expensive to have to buy them already made.  Some stores like Home Depot or Lowe's will cut the lumber (pine) to size for you for a very minimal cost ... most give you the first cut free.   :)  You will also need 2 wood screws and 4 fender washers for each leaping ledge  AND/OR  7 wood screws and 14 fender washers for each new wood balcony.

Here are two pages that can give you some ideas and some instructions.   :::grins::  http://luvnchins.com/ChinchillaSupplies.html  and  http://luvnchins.com/ChinchillaSuppliesCages.html

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Pankakes

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Rainbow Sprinkles
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »

YAY! Thanks Jo Ann!!  :::grins::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:19:34 AM »

It's worth a search for " homemade chinchilla cages" There are some awesome ones out there.
You just have to decide if you want a nice in home cage that looks like a piece of furniture or a basic cage.
There are pics on my site too, but Jo Ann has real professional looking ones.
I'm a real do it yourself er, nothing fancy, I just keep the needs of my chins in mind.

Debbie.nl.ca

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »

My husband makes my cages. I anly have a few left that are not homemade. I bet he would be willing to draw up plans.  pictures can be found on my site http://www.abcchinchillas.com
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 01:35:08 PM »

::silly::  Most of the cages pictured on my site are ones my husband made or converted, or that other breeders that made their own cages and have allowed me to post pictures of them on my site.  The transport cages and some of the runs were made by ranchers and they have them for sale. 

I love Debbie's cages ... I prefer wood, but my hubby said that would be to much of an upkeep and to build for our (at that time 200) chinchillas ... I have since cut my herd back to about 100 and have to much invested in the cages we have to redo them now.

starleomach, I love that one cage you have posted on the opening page on your site ... what a cute idea ... bet you don't have to worry about bedding flying out of that one.   rofl   Hope you don't mind ... I'd like to post a picture of it here (and on my site) ... if you do mind, just PM me and I will remove it.   :)

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up