Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New kitten owner  (Read 4956 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New kitten owner
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:09:11 PM »

Hi, i have 2 baby chins, they are 6 months old and I just got a kitten thats 7 weeks old. An early b-day gift! Right now my chins are living my parents house with my and the kitten is at my boyfriends. We are getting a 2 bedroom place in July so the chins will have there own room then.

I was wondering what food/litter/toys are good ones to get. Right now its eatting purna kitten dry food. My boyfriend wants to give it the caned wet food. We also want to give it milk but my friend said thats not good for them but I could get kitty milk at the pet store or lacktonce interrlent milk. I'm sure what kind of litter I have, its the kind that doesn't clumb and you can flush it.

I got him yesterday and last night he slept in bed with us. I'm getting a cat bed from my cousion tom. There cat doesn't use it. I know that would be best for the cat and me. I'm allergic to cats. I'v been getting allergie shots for it though and other things. I hope the shots have helped. It has with my other allergies in general. So I know it would be best if it didn't sleep on the bed. I think we are going to call him waldo. My boyfriend came up with the name.

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: New kitten owner
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 05:56:04 PM »

For our cats we use Tidy cat cat litter, and we feed our cats Iams. As for toys I can never keep any for the cats because the dogs get upset when I play with them. Tyg loved those poles with the feathers attached. As for milk we tried canned and the cat didn't like it. But every cat is different. Enjoy your new one.  Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:46:19 AM »

::silly::

was wondering what food/litter/toys are good ones to get. Right now its eatting purna kitten dry food. My boyfriend wants to give it the caned wet food. We also want to give it milk but my friend said thats not good for them but I could get kitty milk at the pet store or lacktonce interrlent milk. I'm sure what kind of litter I have, its the kind that doesn't clumb and you can flush it.

A mixture of wet and dry would be good ... they need the dry to chew on so that it's teeth stay clean ... this also helps get the digestive juices in it's system going.

If you want to give it some milk, I would use the kitty nursing/supplemental milk ... you can get it in a powder form ... more economical and lasts much longer ... you mix it with water as you need it ... and it can be given warm or cold.

Kitty litter ... careful on that one ... if you get one that has odor controllers in it ... make sure the chins are never where they can get into the litter box ... clean it frequently!  The flushable kind is good, just make sure you flush it with each scoop ... you don't want to stop it up.   ::)   You might want to purchase a door mat or a piece of carpet to go under the cat litter ... this is so that when the cat steps out of the litter box, the pieces of litter will be deposited on the platform instead of the carpet in the other rooms.   ::nod::

I got him yesterday and last night he slept in bed with us. I'm getting a cat bed from my cousion tom.

Bad start ... it will continue to want to sleep in the bed with y'all.  I would suggest putting an item of clothing, one you or he has worn, in the new cat bed ... this will put your scents on the new bed and make the kitten feel more comfortable/secure in it.   :)    If it starts crying at night ... get a windup clock that makes a ticking noise and place it under the padding in the cat bed.

If you can find one of those plastic toys that are round and flat, they have a scratch thingy in the center and a bright ball that rolls around the groove that is on the outer part of it.  Sorry I can't think of the name of it ... it's been to many years ago ... but I always had one with every cat I owned ... they are funny when they are playing with it.  they bat the ball around the grooved circle, then try to catch it as it comes back around.   A little catnip sprinkled in the center part will keep their attention for a long time.   

Don't place a chair or couch up against the window ... they will use it for a perch and sharpen their claws on it ... shredding the material it is made of.
If you want to let it set in the window (It will even if you don't want it to.), you may want to think about a perch that can be placed in/on the window ledge ... and make sure no curtains are draped over/around the perch or it will use the curtains to climb up to the window.

When you move into the new apartment ... set up the cat litter ... when you walk in the apartment with the cat for the first time ... take it straight to the litter box and set it in the litter box ... it will keep going back to it when it needs to go to the potty ... if you just set him down anywhere the first time you take him into the new apartment ... that's where he's going to use the bathroom ... anywhere.

Please do NOT get him/her any little mouse toys or stuffed animals ... he will not make a difference between them and the chinchillas, should one or both of them get loose.

Just a few of the things I've learned with cats over the years.   :blush2:

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 07:59:05 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Jo Ann
I should have thought of the shirt thing last night... We put a blanket in there but that didn't help. He did take a nap in it during the day so I guess thats a start. I'll try the shirt thing tonight. Today, once again I got woken up around 6 bc he wanted to play and get into bed. After about an hr of trying I just him sleep next to me. I had to wake up at 8 for school and I needed sleep. A couple times i got up to put him in his bed, but he just wanted to play or sleep next to us.

I'm off to my next class. I'll finish this after.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »

Sorry for having to cut it short befor. My boyfriend thinks he can make one of those scrach post things for Waldo. I think part of the reason he slept in his cat bed during the day is because at that time we had it by the window so it was warm from the sunlight. We moved the cat bed to the bottom of the bed. My b/f and I both wanted it on our side so we agreed to put it in the middle of the bottom of the bed on the floor.

I think right now the clumb litter is working pretting good. If it starts to smell I will try kneesaa's kind. I'm thinking of mixing a bit of wet food with the dry food for now bc he is still really tiny and I think it will be eaiser for him to eat.

I did get that kind of nursing milk for kittens. I just got one liquid can. I wasn't sure if he'd like it or not. We'v only been giving him a little bit each day. I think if we buy it again we will get the powdered kind.

He does have some mouse toys right now but he doesn't seem into them. They are not fluffy or anything. They don't even look like a mouse much. It looks like its made out of string. I think that ball thing you are talking about, he would like it.

Its soo cute to watch him play.

Do you spray your cats with water to teach them not to do things?

What about nutering? I'v heard from some of my friends that there cats have been mean afterwords so they don't do it anymore. I know every cat can be different though.

I took him with us when we went to my cousions house. I'm going to post a picture of my cousion kid holding him, hes 2. Its soo cute and Waldo was soo good, he just let Justin hold him, like he knew it was a kid.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »

::silly::   
After about an hr of trying I just him sleep next to me. I had to wake up at 8 for school and I needed sleep. A couple times i got up to put him in his bed, but he just wanted to play or sleep next to us.

I can see your future, now ... when you have kids {the two legged kind} ... they'll be sleeping in the bed, too.   :D

Cats and kittens have a mind of their own ... once they find something they like ... they will almost always demand on keeping it!  Good luck!   rofl

::wave::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »

We had all our cats fixed and none of them ever became mean. The way I look at if you spay them they will live longer. Our oldest cat is 15 right now and he acts like a kitten himself. I love kittens :::grins::... 
Quyana Shannon Seager

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »

Jo Ann..

LOL  :2funny: I don't know about that. Our kids are going to sleep in there bed. I know to many people that let there kids sleep in bed with them and then it was soo hard for them to stay in there own bed.

Last night was hard, but Waldo did pretty good. We did have to spray him a few times though when he got on the bed, He took a nap in his bed last night. My boyfriend put a shirt in there that smells like him. Dan put the bed on the floor while we were watching a movie. He petted Waldo till he feel asleep. It was soo cute. He woke up a few times to make sure we were there and then he went back to sleep. After awhile we moved the bed over to the window and he stayed in it for a bit longer

Sorry, I actually ment to ask about declawing. I don't know if thats they right word for it. I'v heard from some of my friends that there cats have been mean afterwords so they don't do it anymore. I know every cat can be different though

We do plan on getting him fixed. Why do they live longer if they are spayed?

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 06:17:21 PM »

We play with our kitten and he will try to bit us or he will. Is there a way to get him to stop?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:36:04 AM »

::silly::   Kittens are like kits or most baby animals ... they have no idea how strong/sharp their little teeth are ... you have to let them know that biting is a "no-no".  Do keep in mind, this is also a method they use to get your attention.  This is also a type of "play with your mouse before you eat it" thing momma cats teach their kitten so that it is able to fend for itself and live in the wild, if it has to.  You have to teach it you are not a play thing and you are not dinner.

Several methods:

#1) a high pitched sharp-toned "ACK" ... it seems like all animals, even the humand ones, tend to know this means "NO!"
#2) a sharp "NO-NO" and put it in a carrier for 'timeout' ... they learn quickly when they are no longer getting attention and are restrained
#3) a sharp "NO-NO" and blow in it's face in the mouth and nose area
#4) a sharp "NO-NO" and a thump on the nose
#5) a sharp "NO-NO" and a spray with the water bottle
#6) a sharp "NO-NO" and a pinch on the nose or mouth
#7) as a last resort ... or if there are small children in the family ... get it de-clawed ... this has a tendency to calm them down a bit.  But only if it is strictly an inside cat ... when removing the claws, you are making the cat almost defenceless against other animals that might harm him.

Each of the above methods are listed in the order I would try them, because each is a slightly more harsh one than the one before it.  If you do not teach it now that it is a "no-no" to bite, your kitten will think it is acceptable and will continue to bite.   

I've had many cats and kittens over the years ... only one pair did I give up on and had to give them to someone else ... they thought it was fun to wait just on the other side of the door (one on each side) and attack my ankles/legs when I would walk through.  They would not turn loose ... they ended up in a very nice barn on a farm and were very good mousers for the farmer (he always made sure he was wearing long pants when going to the barn).   :::grins::

I'm sure others have found other methods that work for them.

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 07:52:31 AM »

Thanks Jo Ann! I would give it a tap on the nose and say no bite. I don't think I said it in a mean tone though even though I tried.

My b/f sprad him once but I told him not to do it again bc then he would thing that he wasn't allowed to play with us. He only did that once. He said last night he was biting him hard and he picked up the water bottle and then he backed away. I think he knows what it is now.

If he still does it, I will use those methonds in order. I'm going to print it off and give it to my boyfriend also. :)

Sorry about your 2 cats that wouldn't stop bitting.

I'v been told that if you get them declawed that it makes them mean...

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »

These are two pictures of my cousion's kid. Jermery is 6 months old and justin will be 3 Sept 11.
Pages: [1]   Go Up