Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I spay my new female or neuter my older male?  (Read 8917 times)

Dave

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Should I spay my new female or neuter my older male?
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »

I am going to get a new baby female chinchilla in the next few weeks to keep company with my male chinchilla. I found that female and male chinchillas get along best but this raises the question about which one I should have fixed. I know that it would be easier to neuter the male compared to spaying the incoming female, although I can't help but think it would be easier on a younger chin rather than my older male. Also, would it be more expensive to neuter a female and would there be a higher chance of infection in a female? Lastly would my breeder I am purchasing the chinchilla from be able to spay the female before I pick her up?

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Should I spay my new female or neuter my older male?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:39:27 PM »

If you have to do it . I would say neuter the male . However, I found myself in the same boat as you. I had my male neutered and it was aweful. It was a week of sheer heck and worry . We almost lost him. Then there is the possibilty they wont get along at all. Which is what happened during play time here . It was a nasty squable but I think it might have worked out .

I don't suggest spaying or neutering. Like i said I almost lost my boy.

Dave

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 12:56:12 PM »

Thanks that is conclusive with the feedback i am getting with my breeder. Now is there any way, method, or technique to make it so that it is less likely for my female to get pregnant? I want to purchase a female but I am conserned about breeding.

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 01:35:50 PM »

Yes there are 2 ways to keep the female from getting preggie . Seperate cages or have one of them spayed or neutered lol . Now a same sex pairing of males might work out . As long as their are not any females around . Joann told me Males are more protective of their females where females are protective over their space . As long as you did not have a female there it might work out just fine. Just something to think about considering your other options .

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:10:14 AM »

I have hear of some bad situations with neutering but have only seen success here.
I think you really need a good vet for it to work well. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 08:53:19 AM »

::silly:: ::silly::  I always discourage neutering or spaying chinchillas, unless it is a matter of life or death

1)  their systems are so tiny and difficult to work with ...
2)  they are very sensitive when being put to sleep ... (can be overdosed easily)
3)  as a rule, not that many vets are familiar with chinchillas ... (especially in this department)
4)  the vet gives you antibiotics and does not bother to tell you they need a replacement of the flora in their systems *while on antibiotics ...
5)  this weakens their system and if **Giardia is present, it breaks loose and multiplies

*Antibiotics kill all bacteria ... even the good bacteria known as flora that keeps the chinchilla's digestive system working properly.
Please read: Don't Let the 'Cure' Kill Your Chinchilla!   At: http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/
**Another article: Giardia   At:  http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/

I am going to get a new baby female chinchilla in the next few weeks to keep company with my male chinchilla. ...

A female chinchilla at 3 1/2 months old has the ability to get pregnant, but her birth canal would not be large enough to deliver the kits.  You would probably loose both the mother and the unborn kits.

I never put a female into a "breeding situation" until she is at a year old ... two chinchillas of opposite sex, placed within 3 inches of each other, is a "breeding situation". 

... I found that female and male chinchillas get along best but this raises the question about which one I should have fixed. I know that it would be easier to neuter the male compared to spaying the incoming female, although I can't help but think it would be easier on a younger chin rather than my older male. Also, would it be more expensive to neuter a female and would there be a higher chance of infection in a female?

To avoid pregnancy ... get two of the same sex ... or, if you feel you have to have one of each sex ... and you do not want kits ... then never let them spend any time together, not even a supervised play time.

Lastly would my breeder I am purchasing the chinchilla from be able to spay the female before I pick her up?
I am very strongly against neutering or spaying.  Why put your chinchilla in danger?  Why put them through unnecessary pain? 

Not meaning to be rude, just being truthful ... If you were to ask me this question, or tell me you have plans to spay or neuter, I would politely had you a list of other breeders you could contact.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:19:58 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up