Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First time chin mom gave birth to 4 babies.  (Read 4137 times)

TokyoPink

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
First time chin mom gave birth to 4 babies.
« on: April 12, 2009, 08:23:40 PM »

This morning/early afternoon my female chinchilla Roaxanne gave birth to four beautiful baby kits. I am a little stressed out because this is my first litter of kits. I was prepared for two kits. I figured with two kits she wouldn't have a problem nursing. I have done some research and it all says that chinchillas normally have a small liter the first time. However with this being her first liter I am worried maybe she won't be able to nurse all her kits. I have a scale and I know the weigh them to make sure they are gaining weight. I read some information about how to nurse baby kits. I guess my question for everyone who has experience with kits and bottle feeding is this information correct.

NOTE: Kitten replacer formula is safe and an excellent product this is what I prefer to use

Recipe: 1 cup dry milk
1/3 cup Gerber mixed baby cereal                                                                                                         
Mix these two ingredients and place them in an airtight container
NOTE: nutrical or dyne should be added to the wet mix for extra calories and vitamins by the ½ teaspoon.

When ready to feed your baby take 1 teaspoon of mix, 2  teaspoons of filtered water heated to very warm (do not use hot tap water this may contain lead) feed through a dropper by the drop.  Baby chins chew their food for the first few days.  Be patient so the baby doesn't choke on the milk.  The tummy should feel full and the chin will refuse any more when it is full.  You must keep the milk warm while feeding.  I use a coffee cup hot pad.  I also check the milk as I am feeding to be sure it is neither to hot or cold.  I fill up the dropper and hold it up to my lip to test the temp. For the first week feed the baby 5-6 times daily.  Then for the next three weeks 4-5x daily.  For the next two to three weeks feed 4x daily.  The baby will eat larger amounts at each feeding and wont need to have as many smaller feedings.  Beware some babies will over eat-don't let them!  If you notice constipation or diarrhea offer the chin some plain yogurt (no artificial sweeteners) Usually they eat it right up.

I have included a picture of my beautiful kits. Please if any one has any tips I would gladly accept them. Thank you everyone.
Hope you and your families had a wonderful Easter.

::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::
XOXO
Jenn

sashasmommy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: First time chin mom gave birth to 4 babies.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 12:04:41 AM »

so cute!!!

from what i read the supplement for kittens/puppies is good enough...

im not sure though.

but they are adorable...keep us posted.

they look almost furless!! def. beige/tan though, right? were yiou planning to have a litter?
5 Chinnies- Sasha, Star, Stevie, Stuart, Baby
1 Dog- Sierra
1 Hampster- Lightning
2 Kids- Lauryn, Ashton

VenusTheChin

• Owned by Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:05:11 AM »

Many breeders use goat's milk.
*Ruby*
Owned by:
Venus and Blitzen the Chins
Zeus and Pluto the Guinea Pigs
and Rocky the West Highland White Terrier

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:18:37 AM »

That's the first time I've seen such newly born chinchillas...WOW! 4 kits...good luck with them.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:41:55 AM »

::silly::  I use goat's milk ... I've tried puppy and kitten formulas, but have had the best results with goat's milk.  You can get it in a can at WallMart, in the grocery department.  Once you open it, store the left over milk in a glass jar with a tight lid on it.  It's a little expensive, but well worth it.  You can freeze the goat's milk and scrape out what ever you need each feeding time.  Do NOT heat it in the microwave ... place it in a small container (shot glass or baby jar) in a cup of hot water and allow the hot water to heat the milk.  Use a glass eyedroper and give it one drop at a time.  (check out the videos at: http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/   Be sure to read the complete article entitled The First Signs Of Trouble, watch the videos.  In the article, you can also see signs of when a mom is rejecting a kit.

If a momma chin knows she does not have enough milk for all kits, she will sometimes abandon the weakest one ... be prepaired for this ... you may have to work hard to keep from loosing this little one.

Keep a bottle hung on the size of the cage with a couple of ounces of goat's milk in it ... mom can drink it, too.

As crazy as it may sound, make sure you keep the one that weighs the most full first.  If the largest one is full, that will leave more of mom's natural milk for the smaller needy kits.

My first set of quads was also from a first time mom ... I spent the first 5 days and 4 nights in a chair beside the cage ... feedings were every hour.  They all made it!  The URL above is to my second website ... one for the medical care part of chinchillas.  The set of quads I am speaking of and their momma are pictured at the top of the opening page.

Good luck!  Contact me if you need any help ... or have questions.

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:45:01 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 09:25:39 AM »

Wow congrats 4 little fur balls, wonderful.
I have not had that many in a litter YET! LOL
Always try to hand feed the biggest ones and let the tinnies have extra time with Mom.
Only if you see a problem, mom may do just fine all on her own.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 09:21:15 AM »

::silly::   I've had 1 set of 5 in a litter  :o , 5 sets of quads and multiple sets of triplets.  (one breeding pair produced most of the triplets born)  It can keep you going!   ???  Just more to love!  I still have all 4 of my first and second sets of quads.   :)

::howdythere::   Jo Ann
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 06:31:06 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 07:49:45 AM »

Hope all the kits are doing well...
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up