Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft Foods  (Read 1895 times)

Dan

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Soft Foods
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »

Hi.

My chin was showing the signs of a tooth problem (drooling, lack of appetite, etc), so I took him to an exotic vet. She was very nice and noticed that one of his molars was becoming "sharp" and causing him distress. She filed it down and gave us pain medication to give him. It's been 3 days since we've been to the vet and he really hasn't eaten much (probably afraid of pain).

She suggested we feed him banana baby food through a syringe.

Are there any other types of soft foods/liquids that he could eat?

Thanks,

Dan
Donny Chin!

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
Re: Soft Foods
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:12:42 AM »

You need to make sure he is eating plenty of food. Since he is not eating much you will need to hand feed him like the vet recommended however he will need more than baby food.  The Vet may be able to give you some critical care or you can grind up his pellets and mix them with the baby food or water and black strap molasses.   
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:16:55 AM »

If he doesn't like the baby food add or substitute with yogurt.
I also like to put crushed pellets or crushed alfalfa in what ever I have to use, it keeps their gut working better.

Start out with a very thin runny mix and work your way up to a firmer mix. You may even be able to lay it in a dish and let him eat it on his own. All depends on how sick and protesting he is.
Give him a pediolite in his water bottle, he may be getting a bit dehydrated. I like to use two water bottle, one with just plain water.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:36:11 AM »

::silly::  Here's what I use sometimes:

hand full of hay
1/4 cup of chinchilla pellets  (preferably Mazuri, Oxbow or Traditions)
1 teaspoon whole grain or cracked oats (find this at a feed store)

Use a blender on high to pulverize it into a powder.
Caution:  Let the powder settle to the bottom before taking the top off of the blender!
Place it in a container and ALLOW IT TO COOL COMPLETELY (I stick mine in the refrigerator in an air tight container for about half an hour).
If you add the yogurt or acidophilus before it cools completely, it will kill the flora the chin needs to keep it's digestive system moving.

After it is cool, add one capsule of acidophilus (health food store) and mix well. 
CAUTION:  Once the acidophilus is added, it must be kept in the refrigerator.  The bottle of acidophilus must be kept refrigerated after opening.

You can mix a small portion in with a teaspoon of yogurt  (I use strawberry or blueberry yogurt ... they seem to like it best.) and offer it to your little one in a spoon/Popsicle stick/ or tiny bowl.

OR you can mix it with cold water ... just enough to make it thin enough to get through the syringe. 

I also mix the dry powder recipe with smaller amounts of water ... just enough to make it moist and stick together, then I form little footballs about the size of raisins and let them have one at a time.  Keeping the others refrigerated in air tight containers.  This will provide him with a soft food that will be easier to eat than the dry pellets.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:02:07 PM »

Chong loved his banana, apple and oat baby food. Combined with critical care, which he also loved for some reason, thank goodness, he made a full recovery when he wasn't eating. I recommend it. And best of luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up