Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange question  (Read 2936 times)

Jessica

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Strange question
« on: March 05, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »

I'm not sure if its possible but I'd thought I'd ask anyway.  Can a chinchilla and a rabbit live together in the same cage? I have 1 rabbit (spayed) and 2 chins (1 fixed, 1 intact).  I know some rabbits and guinea pigs can live together. My rabbit gets along well with my cats and my dog, as do my chinchillas. My chins are older. One is 10, the other is 5. My rabbit, Saphira, is about 10mo.

They're already living in the same room together.

Thanks,
Jess
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:30:57 PM by Jessica »

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: Strange question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:17:24 PM »

Simple answer. No.

Basically, rabbits back feet and legs are so strong they can kill a chinchilla without even realising or meaning to. A happy rabbit, just like a happy chin jumps and flicks its feet. If it was scared it would stamp it's feet. Anything like that and in one second the chinchillas could be seriously hurt or even killed. I wouldn't.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:03:06 AM »

I second the no
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 10:10:50 AM »

& I agree  ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:59:25 AM »

::silly::  I also agree.   I wouldn't even let them play together. 

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

archinchilla

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:27:33 PM »

I would agree with not putting them in the same cage... but I use to have a rabbit and I put the chins cage next to the rabbit cage and they loved each other. They would have play time at different times but it never failed most of their play time was spent trying to get into the others cage. My rabbit was a giant chinchilla (how odd I know) he was around 22 pounds so of course I never let them out together.  ;) so its not impossible for them to be best buds they just can't be together.

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 04:50:46 AM »

My rabbit has run of the house when he's out. I used to close the bedroom (where the chinnies live) in fear that they might hurt each other even through the bars but lately I've been letting him in there. Sometimes if I can't find him, I'll look and he'll be sat next to the cages eating chinchilla food from the floor! I'm not sure if that's okay for him to eat but he seems to think it's treats and I'm pretty sure the chinchillas are flicking it out of their cages for him.
So they can get on. However, I took Chong (my male chinnie) downstairs one day and he escaped and ran around the front room right past the rabbit and the noise he made was horrible, he sort of growled at Chong but like nothing I've ever heard a rabbit make, and I've been keeping rabbits for 12 years. So it's really not a good idea to let them free together but they seem to get along when the chinnies are behind bars. Well mine do anyway.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:05:27 PM »

::silly::  Jenova, I know the sound you are talking about.  I got my son a pair of bunnies when he was about 5.  I left the room for just a minute or two, came back and the bunnies were no where to be found.  My son had put both in an empty Koolaid can!  I got them out and had to bathe them ... they don't like it ... Kenny did OK, but Kathy stood on her hind legs and gave me a good talking to.  That's the only time I've heard bunnies make that strange sound.  They are definitely not happy when that happens.   

My rabbit has run of the house when he's out.... Sometimes if I can't find him, I'll look and he'll be sat next to the cages eating chinchilla food from the floor! I'm not sure if that's okay for him to eat but he seems to think it's treats and I'm pretty sure the chinchillas are flicking it out of their cages for him.
 ...However, I took Chong (my male chinnie) downstairs one day and he escaped and ran around the front room right past the rabbit and the noise he made was horrible, he sort of growled at Chong but like nothing I've ever heard a rabbit make,...

The rabbit food and chinchilla food is similar.   (Manna Sho Pro for rabbits)   I would not think the chin food would not hurt the bunny.  Bunnies systems are generally much better to handle than a chinchilla's systems.

Sounds like you bunny likes to go visit, but wants no one invading his space.   :2funny:

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up